I have L.O.N.G. to-do list….even a spreadsheet on my computer called ‘MIT List’—(Most Important Tasks). It has everything imaginable that I could do, from writing and studying to cleaning and sewing and what seems like numerous other sub-categories. Some days I look at the list and think ‘oh my goodness which ones today’? But that said, I also have another list on my ‘calendar’ that usually means these are the ones most pressing!
WHAT I’VE NOT ACCOMPLISHED!
These lists aren’t necessarily what I want to do on any given day, and there are outside activities that aren’t even considered when I create my ‘day to day’ list. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother…especially when I look at what I’ve not accomplished at the end of the week.
FEELING GUILTY
Honestly, I’d love to accomplish everything I’ve set out to do, and sincerely believe if I keep working at it, I can squeeze just one more thing in. Then I feel guilty when it doesn’t happen. Am I the only one who finds this happening?
Our world consistently bombards us with an almost fanatical push to get things ‘done’—-and when you fail….. you are…well…at some level, a failure. It’s a guilt tactic, that honestly works and makes us believe the lie that productivity is why were created.
WHERE IS THE LINE?
I wonder though… where is the line between productivity and productivity for the Kingdom? What are we missing?
SITTING WITH JESUS
I’m reminded of Mary and Martha in the Bible and Jesus told Martha that Mary was doing the best thing by sitting with Jesus. She chose to be with Jesus rather than doing something for Jesus. Her intentions were totally good, yet they weren’t the ‘best.’
Do we do that? Do we work so hard to do something for someone…. even God —-that we miss the most important part—- just being with them? We all need human closeness and companionship. Our world has gotten so caught up in technology, some have even lost the ability to connect face to face with another human being!
STEALING THE ‘LIFE’ OUT OF RELATIONSHIPS
We have instant communication possibilities with people across the globe, yet is the ‘communication’ missing something important? Is it stealing the ‘life’ out of relationships?
There are people all around us who are withdrawing into their worlds of the emails and texts or other forms of communication and are starving to death for emotional connection and probably don’t even realize it.
Relationships are failing….and we wonder why. Relationships take effort; an effort with an emotional commitment, to grow. When we stop communicating with our spouse, our kids, or friends, the ‘warmth’ and intimacy of interaction becomes less and less, much like a fire that needs stoking with more wood just to keep it going! You stop feeding that fire and it eventually will grow cold because it has run out of the ‘energy’ just to keep it going.
WHAT IS REALLY IMPORTANT?
There comes a time when we need to look at our ‘lists’ and decide to choose what is important. Sure, that floor is gonna need sweeping, laundry washed and other domestic duties done. Our workplace is going to require our attention and commitment to do our job well, and other activities will be calling for our attention.
GOOD, BETTER, BEST
But ultimately we have to decide what is ‘good, better, and best’. To have a relationship with humans in our physical lives, and God in our spiritual lives, we must make a choice. Are we going to focus on the world of ‘to-do’ or be like Mary when she chose to be with Jesus and not just ‘do’ for Him?
No comments:
Post a Comment