He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, April 18, 2022

Harnessing Our Thoughts


       My friend tells the story of a conversation which very nearly could have been called an argument she had with one of her children.  Words were spoken and things said in the moment that could not be retracted and she agonized over the dispute later in the day.  She kept asking herself, ‘Why did I say that?’ or ‘I should have said this,’ and on and on.


I know how that feels, even though arguing is not something I’m very good at! There have been those times when disagreements created tense moments in my life.  I suspect we all have them.  There are times when I remember the occasional, what I considered "verbal assault’; and consider how I could have better responded.  Like my friend, I fretted about what I said right or could have said, that I didn't.


We are human so errors in judgement, especially in the face of emotions can be made.  We feel guilty afterward and often reprimand ourselves with all kinds of negative thoughts.  These thoughts keep re-winding and playing over and over again in our minds until we have completely demolished any sense of decency we should feel about ourselves.


We are told in scripture to ‘capture our  thoughts and make them obedient to Christ.’  When we are beating ourselves up, we are not being obedient to God’s Word.  It’s so good to know that God knows and feels the pain I am feeling.  He came to be sacrifice for me.  


We just celebrated Easter and Christ’s Resurrection.  His blood covers all my sins.  He speaks to me and reminds me that I am far from perfect, but I am still His child.  He loves me, delights in me and wants only the best for me. So it’s up to me to capture those awful thoughts of failure and worthlessness and throw them out of mind right back at Satan who is trying to destroy me.


It’s hard to believe how much peace can come from calling on God.  He answers, when I allow, and can once again feel whole again.  When I ask for forgiveness for the berating I just gave myself and praise Him, whether in song or in prayer, I am filled with an awe that cannot be explained.   


Knowing that I have God’s support and encouragement in my day to day life, I know that even when I fail, he’s there to pick me up and get me back on the right track.


Harnessing our thoughts is much like harnessing our tongue!  It’s hard to do.  We are human and it’s easy to fall into the trap of ‘listening to bad things and then saying the bad things'--even if it's about ourselves.  When we say things aloud, our ears hear them and that in some way intensifies what we were thinking!


I encourage you this week to recognize when your thoughts are beating you up!  Then raise your eyes and heart to the Father and ask Him to exchange your negative self talk to something positive.  Turn the radio on to some Gospel music, read His Word and praise him.  I suspect those negative thoughts will be soon ‘undone’ by God’s almighty and loving power! 


Photo Credit:  free Praise Pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment