He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, April 4, 2022

Squirming To Go!

 


       My friend tells the story of the day she took her small son with her to visit a friend in a small town gift shop.  After chatting a few moments, the little guy began tugging on his momma’s hand ready to leave.  He didn’t want to wait any longer in the store and wasn’t the least bit interested in his mother’s conversation or the shopping she would do following her discussion with her friend.

Sometimes I feel like the 'little guy' in the store,—in the sense I feel like I'm ready to get on with whatever it is God wants me to do, even if I’m not quite sure just what that it; and I can’t move forward until I do.  So I am required to wait until he clarifies just what that is, and there are times when the anxiety it just crazy!   But even then, I know God is holding on to my hand, saying, "Wait, wait, we're not quite ready!"


I doubt I’m the only one who has felt this way.  I think many times we, as Believers, squirm to be free to go down the road/path we have chosen because it seems so fitting at a particular moment.  We plow forward with independence and confidence without first falling on our knees before God to make sure this is the direction we should take.  


We hear those gentle nudges when God is saying, ‘Not so fast; this isn’t what I had planned for you.’  But from our narrow mind’s eye, we’re certain we are right, and then find ourselves tumbling down a hill and asking, “Where did that come from?”


It’s when we face our independent spirit and turn to Him we can recognize that He knows our hearts, understands everything we want and need, and even knows our intentions and motives better than we do.  There is nothing we can hide from him.


We need his divine wisdom to give us guidance so that what we do will not only be right for us, but will honor him in the process.  We get impatient with waiting, however.  We get weary with confusion and sometimes wonder if an absolute answer will ever come. 


God will never let us down and will never lead us astray; but it’s vital to our growth as a Believer to listen to those nudges. And we need to listen to his small still voice so that peace that comes from knowing we’ve allowed him to reign in our heart, mind and soul, so the right direction will come with total and complete clarity.


This isn’t always easy.  We are human, and Satan can cloud our thoughts with small seeds of ‘you’ve got this, go!’  It’s hard to be patient and wait.  Depending on our circumstances, it can be agonizing.  


As we look to God the Father for answers, and ask for HIS patience to rule our hearts until the time, purpose, circumstances and any other elements that are necessary, are completely aligned with his, we will find we do have what it takes to wait.  The blessings will come, all in his perfect time.


Photo Credit: https://www.123rf.com/photo_26494087_stock-illustration-illustration-of-a-little-girl-pulling-her-mother-s-hand-while-pointing-at-something.html 


No comments:

Post a Comment