He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, December 17, 2012

No Promise of Tomorrow



This past weekend we learned of another rampage of violence beyond comprehension forced on an elementary school that took the lives of twenty innocent children and six adults.  How does this happen?  It makes no sense at any level.  It proves again, that no one is promised another day; and sadly, that even includes our young ones.  Each moment, every person is at risk of taking his last breath which makes the need to live life doing the very best we can, even more important.  We can plan and have expectations, but the finished plan or product is not promised!

            One of my sisters is a planner.  She delights in planning the details necessary for having a successful event.  I on the other hand, make a list, but I’m not sure it qualifies as a “real plan!”  I tend to ignore the details until near the time needed for completion.  I suppose in some ways this makes me less of a good hostess than she, when entertaining!  

            While I’m probably not the best hostess in the world, I do make plans, but they are more cleaning or sewing plans, or a plan to read a list of books, or subjects to study.  That probably makes me a little odd, but my “to-do” list is quite lengthy, which means I rarely ever complete my list!  So the unfinished item is added to the next day’s list if it’s really important, or it just gets bumped off the list completely until I can wrangle enough time to do it.

            I wonder if our Christian lives aren’t treated that way sometimes, too.  I have a Bible study and prayer list that I try to commit to every day.  But there are days when it just doesn’t happen; like those days when I have to leave the house particularly early.  I never allow enough time to get both of those items done before I leave and I’ve found that if I don’t do them first thing in the morning, other priorities capitalize on my time.

            Our lives have such a small time line in the whole scheme of things.  So what we do really needs to matter.  I admit that my Spiritual priorities get really messed up when I allow life to dictate what is important.  Jesus came those many years ago with a purpose.  His priority was my salvation; and he paid the ultimate price with his life.  So how relevant is my “cleaning” list next to my Spiritual list?  What matters most is the time I spend with my Lord and Savior.  I can’t have a relationship with Him, if I don’t follow through with my “planned” quiet time to study His word and pray, which is as intimate as it gets!  What better way to grow in spiritual maturity?  What other way is there?  It doesn’t just happen any more than my dishes get clean if I don’t wash them.  There is a process and the course of action I take is a clear indicator where my heart is!
 
            There is also the priority of telling the ones you care about that you love them.  Life is indeed short and none of us is promised another moment.  Prepare yourself spiritually this Advent season, allowing the Messiah to govern your life.  Follow that by drawing your loved ones near and hold them close to your heart.  This moment may be all you have.

Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth.  Proverbs 27:1

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, Friday's events make perfect sense :( Guns did not cause the events. Mental illness did not cause the events. Adam Lanza is some aspects did not cause the events. Sin did. God just gave us a glimpse of the evilness of the sin we exhibit each and every day. The only difference between me and Adam Lanza is I am a sinner saved by grace, while he was a sinner still lost. He is no more a moister than I was before God called me to Him. Part of our spiritual journey needs to quit being one of thinking of self and trying to answer the why questions, but rather one of praying for those that do not know Him. You're right - we have no promise of tomorrow. Neither does the person next to you. But does that person know for a certainty that they will spending eternity in Heaven, or are they headed to Hell?

    ReplyDelete