He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, April 15, 2013

An Effective Prayer Life

I am learning so much in my different Bible studies.  On a recent day the object of prayer was discussed.  As people in a very busy society, we are likely to feel rushed and pushed on all sides to get as much done in as little time as possible.  This thought process affects every aspect of our lives, from the way we drive a car to the way we eat our meals!  Everything is rush, rush, rush; hurry up and get it done!
We have appliances that fill our homes.  They might include, but are certainly not limited to a microwave, toaster, blender, food processor, coffee, sandwich, waffle and bread makers, tea brewers along with the required vacuum cleaner, sewing machine or other specialty items we choose!  Now, I’m the first to admit that I like my appliances and use most of them. (Most being the operative word!)  They are each designed to perform a particular task and supposedly, in the most effective, efficient and economical way.  In a nutshell, they are designed to save time.  But do they?  
Oh, and please don’t forget our computers!  I admit I would be lost without mine!  But that being said, while it is much more efficient than paper and pen and the trusty typewriter, because I can “do” so much more on the computer, I find that “just writing” doesn’t happen!  I get sidetracked checking my mail, or face book; doing searches (and honestly often it is for writing), checking the weather and on and on!  But the truth is I’m just busy and it isn’t always productive!
When you add obligations to clubs or organizations in which we participate, sports activities, business meetings, even church and Christian responsibilities along with our day to day commitments we find ourselves feeling frazzled by the time we get everything finished! 
So how does all this affect our prayer life?  We are so caught up in all the busy-ness of day to day business, we find it difficult to stop and be quiet long enough to foster a productive prayer life.  According to the study I am in, praying for others can change other people’s lives.  That had never occurred to me!  Yet, I can honestly say I do pray for others and I expect results, but not in the sense that it could change their life, at least not in the day to day perspective! We are instructed to pray with a believing heart, but I didn’t process it further than that!  Prayer does make a difference!  It is a privilege to come to the throne of Grace on someone else’s behalf.  It is also a responsibility!  (Galatians 6:2-5)
Satan and his band of demons are becoming more and more aggressive every day in our world.  We need to remember that Christians are under constant attack from the dark side.  Marriages are failing, people are turning to chemical substances for escape, while immoral and shameful behaviors permeate advertising and are flaunted all about us.  Degradation of the human race is becoming rampant.  We need prayer; specific prayers, if we intend to stand up to this evil.  Our prayers need to be Spirit led, thoughtful and caring for each person we lift up.
But praying effectively takes time.  It takes a quiet mind and still, loving heart in tune with God.  Rushing through a practiced prayer or “one thought covers all” kind of prayer, leaves our prayer life weak and vulnerable.  We need to bow before God with a humble heart and childlike innocence.  I will admit this is an area in my life where I really need to improve.  So I ask you, how is your prayer life?  Is your relationship with the Father a time consuming, tedious task you feel like you must accomplish as your Christian duty?  Or do you cherish with all your heart the time you spend with the Lord?  I hope you’ll give it some thought, search your heart and make the relationship and prayer life with Jesus the most important part of your day.
One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, "Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples."He said to them, "When you pray, say: " 'Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come…..”  Luke 11:1-2

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Margie, this is so true, we get caught up in so many things and rush from here to there and go in circles when we need to get off and get down on our knees more and pray for each other and spend time with our Lord.

    ReplyDelete