He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, May 6, 2013

You Lose, Satan!

I had the misfortune this week of being bit on my index finger by a frightened young kitten.   He was terribly upset, and undoubtedly meant no great harm when he sank his razor sharp teeth into my finger (well, maybe a little at the time!) since he began purring as soon as the deed was done!  The bite was deep and caused a good deal of pain for a short while.  I took the necessary steps of cleaning and peroxiding the area and felt confident all was good, but agreed when we went into town the next morning, which was already a planned shopping day, to stop by the Base hospital and get a tetanus shot since I couldn’t remember the last time I’d had one.   In just an hour or so, I began to see swelling, so I iced it and still wasn’t terribly concerned. 
The next morning, as planned, we stopped by the Base to get the tetanus shot.  When the tech looked at my hand, he immediately said that perhaps this needed further attention so he went to get someone with more authority.  After questions about the cat and us being unable to prove the little guy had any shots, the next tech looked at my hand and said, “I think you might need rabies shots.” 
Surprised, I hesitated, but responded, “Well, okay.”  They then proceeded to explain the process:  One today, another on the third day, the 7th day and 14th day.  The only problem with that is I would be in Israel when it came time for the last shot!  My response:  “I will not forego Israel for rabies shots!  I will start them all over again, if necessary!”  I was adamant with every doctor I saw that day!
As it turned out, I ended up with six shots for the day, plus an IV of extra antibiotics since by afternoon the hand was clearly infected with some type of bacteria!  Phone calls were made and it was decided that I could get the last shot in Israel and if worse came to worse, the rabies hotline the doctor called, assured me I could have the last one done here if  I got it the day I returned home.
As we finally made our way home in late afternoon, I couldn’t help but chuckle at my husband, Charles’ comment:  “Well, I’ll bet Satan is mad and saying ‘Oh great!  Now she’s on the mend!”
It’s true, when we hold our ground with Christ against whatever Satan throws at us, we do make him mad.  But we overcome!  I have no doubt Satan was pleased as punch at the very thought of deterring us from this trip.  He knows we will never be the same again.  To walk where Jesus walked, to see the Sea of Galilee, Jerusalem, Carmel Mountain, Armageddon, Caesarea Philippi and so much more, will change the way we view God’s word.  It will become more personal, more real, tangible and powerful.  I am looking forward to this trip, because I know it will be a once in a lifetime blessing.  Let Satan be mad!  We aim to make this trip to Israel and with God’s grace, we will overcome!

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."   John 16:33
(The picture included above is of our own sweet "Little Bear" not the little one that bit me!)

2 comments:

  1. Be safe on your journey cousin - and remember - you are loved! Bring me a magnet back from Israel, please?

    ReplyDelete