He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, December 16, 2013

Am I Where God Wants Me?



            As I prepared for the writing of this blog and re-read my message for the book I wrote some years ago, I considered where I was at that time in my life.  I had many questions, but pressed on because I believed it was what God wanted me to do.

            My life still holds questions.  I still look at my circumstances from a very human perspective and ask, “Is this where I am meant to be? What purpose could God possibly have for me being “here” doing “this” or dealing with “that!”  I think everyone, if honest, asks these questions from time to time.  I also believe we have to draw daily from the well spring of God’s love to accept the peace He offers.

            I pray this week, as we draw ever nearer to Christmas Day, you will reflect on your life. Ask yourself if you are following God’s leading, and determine if you are where you are because you are doing what God wants you to do.  If you aren’t sure about the answer and unable to find peace in your circumstance, my prayer is that you would go to the Father with a humble heart and search for whatever changes need to be made.  I pray you find the peace that only a loving Savior can give.

Week 3, Day 2   The Christmas Countdown
Read:  John 14:23-31                                                              A Different Kind of Peace
Key Verse:  Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.  John 14:27

            I have entered the college scene after 31 years of marriage and five grown children.  It has been a wonderful experience, at times frustrating and challenging.  There are days when I’m overwhelmed with homework and exhaustion.  My retired husband has been wonderful with the change in our lifestyle but I still feel the strain.  It has completely altered what we planned to do once he retired!  

             The other night I had a dream where the stress of college was almost unbearable!  I woke agonizing over college and my responsibilities and wondered if it was all worth it.  Should I be there at all? I questioned, unable to go back to sleep.  Why am I doing it?  Why am I putting myself through the extra stress and exertion of school when life is already full?  After tossing and turning for a bit, I went to the Lord in prayer.  I’ve long believed this was God’s plan.  I haven’t a clue what He’ll do with my prayer, but still I prayed. 

 In the morning I was amazed how at peace I felt.  I knew without a doubt I was where I was supposed to be at that moment.  I was comfortable picking up my books and studying, confident that He would be with me.  I knew this peace could only come from God.

Sometimes it’s hard to understand what’s going on around us. Situations arise in life where we must make hard decisions. Issues cause our minds to turn in other directions in fear of the unknown.  How can we be certain we are doing the right thing?  There is only one place to get the answers.

Jesus promised to be with us.  He comforts us when we get rattled.  He calms our fears.  When we call on His name our fears can be squelched, our minds can become at ease, and our souls can rest.

Whatever you are facing this Advent season, call on the Prince of Peace.  Only He can give us his special gift of peace that passes understanding and cause our hearts to not be troubled.

QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER:  

1)  Do you consider yourself a strong person?  Are you decisive and passionate regarding your values and direction in life?  What causes you to waver? 
2)  Have you ever been in a situation where you wondered if you were doing the right thing?  Did worry nearly overwhelm you?  How did you work though it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment