He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, September 8, 2014

Everyday Challenges


I heard a cute story from a friend recently about how her grandfather taught the children to be willing to try something even if it turns out it isn’t for them.  She had the occasion to have a silverware drawer break and considering both her grandfathers were skilled carpenters, opted to tackle the job herself.  With Dremel in hand she followed the directions as she twisted her body into the cabinet, drilling, screwing and working on the desired repairs.  Project complete, she realized her original measurements were inaccurate leaving a small gap because the assembly was mounted a bit below where it belonged.

Personally, I laud her efforts for even tackling the problem since I would be loathe to even push the power button on the Dremel.  Trying new things is certainly commendable, but I am a coward to nearly anything mechanical!  My mind doesn’t process the necessary components to make things work in a logical order.

I’m grateful however, lacking as I am in such matters, that God enabled others to take care of such issues!  Yet, I can’t help but regret, a little, the courage to try something out of my comfort zone.  I deplore the idea of botching something, especially when it really needs to be handled properly.

God has a purpose for each of us and mine seems to be putting words on paper.  But does this mean I shouldn’t try something that frightens me?  Should I rely on others when I am intimidated by what is before me?  I have one daughter who thinks nothing about sticking her head under the hood of a car and making a reasonably accurate diagnosis about an engine problem.  All I can do there is notice something is amiss.  Another of my daughters is skilled in the medical field and another in business.  I have a son who is skilled in computers and a remarkable artist and yet another who is skilled in water management!  In each of the areas where my children excel, I lack horribly! 

Sometimes it takes a while to discover what it is we do best.  I was in my thirties before I discovered I could write productively!  Until then, it hadn’t occurred to me to even try writing for anyone besides myself!  Yet, God knew when He would use all the “practice” I had, to make it a worthwhile endeavor for others to read.  He also knew “life experiences” would enable me to write better from the heart.

God knows each of us individually and wants us to use the gifts and abilities He’s given us to the best of our ability.  To some He has given many gifts; to others not so many.  But I believe when we do our best with what He’s given us we honor Him, and isn’t that what we are supposed to do?

Conversely, when we refuse to use the gifts we’ve been given, we have dishonored Him.  We’ve decided we know better than God, kind of like Jonah when he tried running from God.  He discovered, as we do, that unless we follow God’s directives, we aren’t going to be happy.  This is also true when we use our gifts for something other than God’s plan; when we abuse our abilities for our personal gain.  Again, God knows all, even our motives.  Only when we are in His will, following His plan, can we be truly happy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment