He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, January 5, 2015

On The Fence

“It's been a tough week” said my friend not long ago.  “They say things come in threes....and it did for me!  I received a scathing email from some one close to me, angry with me over things for which I had absolutely no control; followed by another message from someone I hardly know over something she completely misinterpreted; and watched as a child I love implored her mother to please take her somewhere other than my home because she didn't want to be there.”

Where do we go or what do we do with circumstances like this?   Do we want only to hide until the pain goes away, or would we rather retaliate and cause harm to those inflicting pain on us?  I suggest the answer to that question is partly determined by the kind of personality you have, and your belief system.

I have one friend who, when offended, would like nothing more than hit back, hit hard, and where it is going to do the most damage.  Another friend, who is a bit more like me, would rather take the abuse inflicted, turn away and avoid confrontation; just try to maintain peace.

I don't know that either method is right. just different.  I would contend, however, that injuries or offenses should be dealt with, although not in a hostile way, because left unattended, anger does have the potential to become a cloud burst. 

I heard a conversation recently where an angry man told his friend, "You need to get off the fence about this and choose a side."   His friend's response is the way I'd like to think I feel.  He said, "I don't need to get off the fence or take a side.   I need to figure out a way to take down the fence so everyone can get along!"  That isn't always easy and in some cases an impossible solution.  But I still prefer this idea to breaking someone's legs or bringing a person to their knees to get their attention!

Our lives are made up of decisions every day.  To make good ones takes the heart, mind and attitude of Christ.  I believe how we respond is a demonstration of what we believe. When behavior is un-Christ like, aren't we setting someone up to fail or choose a different lifestyle if they are watching us as a beacon of Christ; especially if it's someone on the "fence" about accepting Christ as Savior?

We are told to live a life of Christ; like Christ!  When we display bad behavior, I don’t think we are living Christlike.  Does that mean we can’t get angry?  Oh my, no!  Anger is a human characteristic and even Jesus got angry.  It’s what we do with that anger that matters. 

Sometimes we do need to choose sides, rather than sitting on the fence.  When our “side” will demonstrate our faith--- or not – it’s incredibly important to choose a side; Christ’s side.  Because when we don’t “choose” to honor Him, or share the Gospel, or acknowledge our faith when around other people, aren’t we in effect choosing to “deny” Him? 

I challenge you to consider what fences you sit on.  Would you be better off choosing sides or tearing the fence down?


No comments:

Post a Comment