He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, March 2, 2015

Basic Needs

          
            “Mila,” said Peyton, “You’ve got to get on with your life.  Scott is gone and there is nothing you can do about that now. You have hidden yourself in this apartment for nearly eight months.  I know Scott’s leaving was bad, but you’ve withdrawn from life. You won’t talk to people, you don’t go out or anything.  What are you afraid of?”
            “You think I’m afraid of something?”
            “Well, are you?”
            Pausing for a moment, Mila sighed.  “I think maybe I am.  I think I’m afraid of….. rejection?”
            “Rejection?”
            “Well, maybe.  Think about it.  All I ever wanted was a husband, home and family and now I’m alone.  I was so certain Scott would be the one.  I failed.”
            God created us to need each other.  He even gave Eve to Adam, his very first man creation.  To be rejected by someone can be devastating and can cause all kinds of problems to our well-being, including the ability to reach out to someone else.
            Our world has evolved into a computerized and scientific phenomenon.   There is space travel, satellites, communication advances, not to medical progress and developments that can boggle the mind.  But despite all these improvements, people are still people.  We still have very basic needs which none of this can address.  If this is all we have, when the lights go out, we are still alone in our very technological world.
            Maslow's theory of “man’s hierarchy of needs” pyramid in psychology suggest “physiological” needs are the most basic needs (that which keeps us alive and functioning, like food, water, sleep) while a step above this is “safety,” to “belonging and love,” to “esteem,” then to the top of “self-actualization.” 
            When I look at this list, I fail to see the need for spirituality.  I perhaps, not being an experienced psychology student, may be missing a critical link.  But there seems to be little evidence of Christ in that particular pyramid.   I can see and agree with the idea of basic needs, but I suggest the need for the Savior is about as basic as it comes! 
            The truth is, regardless of whether or not our needs are met here in this life, the greater need is making sure we are ready for the next life!  What we do in this life, is directly linked to our eternal destination.  We have to choose where we will spend eternity.  And even if “basic needs” are missing here, we can be certain, if we are children of God, that all of our needs will be met in heaven.
            We are a corrupt world and people struggling against a naturally corrupt nature.  Our needs, including needing other people and particularly needing Christ is as real as any other need you can imagine, and I suggest just as, or maybe more, important.
            




No comments:

Post a Comment