He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, February 8, 2016

To Be Alone

“I worked in retail for twelve years and on weekends I needed to get away,” said my friend one day while chatting.  “I’d get off work on Friday; I’d have my wife drop me off at a pre-designated stop and would tell her where to pick me up on Sunday.  Taking my backpack, I’d begin down the trail.  All I wanted was to be away from people.”

My friend then shared how he would find himself alone for the next two days, doing nothing more than enjoying God's exquisite creation in the beautiful Black Hills.  He enjoyed the singing of the songbirds, the cries of the hawks, the chatter of the squirrels, the coolness of evening, the sound of rushing water in the stream, the quiet of night.  “I wanted,” he repeated, “to just be away from people!”

Jesus found he needed time away from people, too.  He would go away alone to pray.  He loved people, had compassion on them, took care of their needs, taught them, and all the while stayed true to the Father.  But he needed time alone to “refuel,” to refresh, regenerate and renew his worn body and spirit.  If our Lord Jesus found the need to be renewed by the Father, then shouldn’t we, mere human beings, need such regeneration?  

Even without the spiritual side of the equation, I find it helps immensely sometimes when I am overwhelmed, to just have quiet time, “me time” if you will, away from the busy-ness of the day, other people, or work.  Sometimes I will play soft music or even Gospel music that soothes the soul.  Other times I want complete silence so I can sort through my thoughts and “file” those things in my mind that need filing, or take a broom and sweep out those things that need to be forgotten.  And when I’m trying to read or write, quiet is a must.  I can’t seem to separate the “outside” noise from what’s going on in my head!

During morning meditation, it’s nice to just sit quietly with The Lord as I wake up and consider my upcoming day.  But in the evening when I have quiet time with God before going to sleep, I have the chance to think on the day, consider what I did wrong and could have done better and thank Him for all I accomplished in that day!  

Some people don’t like quiet time at all.  They need background noise at all times, during the day and at night while they sleep.  When they walk into the house the television or radio immediately goes on and at night use “noise makers” so they can sleep.  It makes me wonder if they are afraid of the thoughts running through their mind.


But I understand my friend who wants to get away into the mountains for quiet time!  Jesus needed it, too.  I cherish my quiet time, as well.  What about you?  Do you need a noise maker to sleep or noise in your day?  Have you ever wondered why? Is it time to take those thoughts to The Father, like Jesus did?

No comments:

Post a Comment