He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

God Is In The Room

I’ve been hearing a song recently that is so powerful, I stop what I am doing to become engaged in the lyrics, as well as, the tune.  “Holy Spirit, Come In This Place,” is a song that touches the very core of my being.  I want to feel the Holy Spirit guiding me in every single move I make.  The idea of “Holy Ghost bumps” --- and yes, I have completely experienced that! – is thrilling, and puts me in an indescribably wonderful “state.”  So, when a friend of mine shared an experience recently, it caused me to reflect on how great our God is. 

He shared the story about how it had been necessary to take his mother to the hospital and that she ended up needing surgery.  For the next week and a half, she lived on the ventilator, was lethargic and slipping away, totally unresponsive.  To everyone’s surprise, she awoke and had the ability to share precious moments with my friend and his siblings.

            The family, strong in their faith, were able to tell her how much they loved her, and encourage their mother to take the hand of Jesus and let go of this life.  They could feel the Holy Spirit in that room.  They felt the power of 10,000 angels taking their momma home, to be crowned at Jesus feet. They rejoiced, as an amazing God allowed them this special time.

            I was struck by the power of his story.  He didn’t doubt God was real and completely knew one day, when his mother left this life, he’d see her again.  During her illness, however, I wonder if he believed he would ever have the chance to say one more time, “Momma we (I) love you!”

            I am reminded of Peter who knew Jesus was the Messiah.  When Jesus was walking on the water, near the boat Peter was on, for just a moment, albeit, an impulsive one, Peter asked to step out on the water, as the raging water splashed against the boat ….and Jesus permitted the event.  Until, of course, Peter looked down, saw the waves, and immediately began sinking.  As quickly as that happened, however, Peter’s eyes again rose to Christ, and Jesus reached out and kept Peter from sinking.

            Jesus has the power to sustain us in all circumstances when we keep our focus on Him.  When we reach out to Him, no matter how we are suffering, or what challenge is before us, we can have the assurance God is real, powerful, and wants to build us up by growing our faith.

            It’s easy, as humans, however, to doubt things won’t turn out right. There are trials and tests, and even as my friend found, a time when saying a “real goodbye” would likely not be possible.   We often reach out with solid faith, and then when a wave hits our ankles, we cringe and cower, certain we are going to sink, or worse, even drown.  But when we refocus, we can feel the Holy Spirit lift us where we need to be. 

            My friend experienced the Holy Spirit much like Peter.  He knew without a doubt, God was in the room, and that moment would be cherished forever.  He and his siblings were able to feel the Holy Spirit, and encourage their mother to reach for the God they knew would take her home. 


            When is the last time you asked, with all your heart, “Holy Spirit come in this place?”  What an amazing experience when we open our hearts and spirits to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment