He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, March 5, 2018

Music Matters

         
          Music has a way of making any day brighter.  Sometimes the words to a song can cause the listener to be reflective, happy, inspired, encouraged or overcome with a whole litany of emotions.  Sometimes just listening to music without any words can be the perfect sound to fill a heart.

Fiddles, banjos, dulcimer and guitar through the years has generated the perfect sound of a southern string band that helped create legends like The Carter Family, Earl Scruggs, Chet Atkins and Dolly Parton, to name a few.  Alan Jackson has an amazing way with a guitar and his voice, as does Vince Gill and so many others.  Southern Gospel groups like the Kingdom Heirs (my favorite), Gold City and Greater Vision to name a few, have a way with music that touches the core of my soul!

The Bible talks about celebrating with music from Genesis to Revelation, but most often in the Psalms.  Music was frequently used when praise was given.  David danced in the street when they were bringing the Ark of the Covenant into the City of David.  He was praising The Lord. Miriam played a timbrel, sang and danced, along with all the other women, after they crossed the Red Sea in joyous celebration and praise.  God welcomes our voices even when they don’t harmonize perfectly with another in a worship service.  It’s a matter of giving our hearts and voices up in praise that matters to the Father.

Sometimes when I go to bed at night I have a tune in my head which keeps repeating itself.  What’s wonderful is when I wake in the morning with a song in my heart.  It might be the same song I heard in my head as I fell off to sleep but sometimes it’s another.  What I find remarkable is the peace that comes with the music about God’s grace, forgiveness, love, peace and other qualities of our Lord.

There are times when I’m feeling down or even just physically tired, yet when I turn Gospel music on, I find my focus changing off me and onto the Lord.  It turns my mind in another, more productive, direction.  I am able to step a little faster, smile a little more and forget my fatigue or sad feelings.

Besides instruments like harps, trumpets and lyres, cymbals, tambourine and other musical implements, we, as humans with a voice, are also completely capable and totally obligated to make music and praise unto the Lord.  This is how we were created!   

I love to sing, especially music about Jesus. (This doesn’t mean I do it well, but I do enjoy the effort!)  There is just something profoundly moving about hearing a message in song about the Risen Savior, or the New Birth.  Easter and Christmas fill the heart with such strong emotions that when shared in song can stir, elevate, exalt, revere and intensify feelings that are nearly tangible.  While I mentioned Easter and Christmas, any time of year, any time of day, is the perfect time to tap into music, especially Gospel music.   


So I challenge you to turn off the television set, turn the radio on to your favorite Gospel station or put a Gospel CD in and listen to the music and message, and watch (and feel) your heart soar!  Allow God to touch your soul through the medium of music, because music does matter!

No comments:

Post a Comment