He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, October 15, 2018

Picking Up Habits

         
         It’s interesting to listen to my now grown daughters talk about “me” when they were younger.  They would grow impatient with me when they were young, because I constantly cleaned the counter in the kitchen or my “obsession” with dusting or worse vacuuming!  More dreadful still, was they were expected to help.  What makes such comments even more interesting is my daughters have “picked up” my habits!  It is what they learned, and now they find themselves doing the very things they found annoying as children.

            Habits become comfortable for us; sometimes even bad ones!  But the routine settles our nerves and fears, causes us to relax and feel secure with what we are doing, learning and sometimes even who we are with.  Habits give us identity and provide a route for commitment in our lives, while creating a template of our daily schedule.

            Routine, consistent behaviors and patterns are even true for animals. There are programs, throughout the US which uses animals for visitation in hospitals, homesick college students and senior citizens.  The programs have different names, such as Pet VIP therapy, PAWS for People and even HABIT, but generally have the same desired result. 

Studies show animals (primarily dogs, but some cats and even rabbits) have a way of offering unconditional love and a positive presence, even to strangers. They can calm and soothe just by the very nature of their presence and allowing the stroking motion along their fur.  While they need to be taught certain behaviors in addition to having a gentle demeanor, these animals have learned habits of people, enabling them to be of service in ways no human can.  

This ‘habit’ idea is much the same when applied to our Christian lives.  As God’s children, even though we may become impatient with his teachings and not fully understand them, we find ourselves doing what He commands, just as my daughters would follow my directions in their youth.  Following God’s commands, which over time eventually become habits, we grow in Christ.

We learn by doing, just as my girls, who modeled my behaviors.  As we read and search scripture, remain in fellowship with other believers, we are learning the “habits” God wants us to know. We become more and more comfortable with what we are doing or saying, as we practice what we are learning.  These “feedings from Him” build our understanding. We find ourselves, sometimes years later saying, “I remember when I first began reading my Bible every day and having prayer time.  I didn’t always have the time to do those things, yet now I can’t imagine not taking the time.”   

            I encourage you to reflect on what God has taught you. We learn by doing, often even before we understand.  We are His children; His heirs.  He will teach us if we allow him.  Can you recognize the lessons that have become ‘habits’ you have acquired, even if inadvertently?  Do your habits offer calmness and a positive presence, without even having to think about it?



No comments:

Post a Comment