He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, February 3, 2020

Mental Health and Being A Believer

            
          I was chatting with a friend of mine at a gathering recently who was sharing some of the complications in her life.  Quieting, so no one else around could hear her, she said, “My daughter is dealing with depression right now and I don’t know how to help her.”

            Some years ago, I went through some very trying times and found myself ‘sad.’  It never occurred to me that I might be suffering from depression, until a doctor looked at me and said, “Mrs. Harding, you are suffering from depression!”  I was aghast!  How could a Believer in Jesus have depression?  Aren’t we always supposed to be joyful?  How does that fit in with sadness?  In some ways, this confounded and amplified my already ‘sad’ demeanor.

            During my growing up years, I recall a stigma being attached to being a Christian and being depressed.  Yet, I knew the Bible discusses depression through King David and Saul.  In fact, the boy David played his harp for Saul to ease his melancholy and despair.

            The Psalms are filled with King David’s honest outpouring of anguish over sin, a pursuing enemy, and fear.  During his lowest times, he would cry out to a God who he knew loved him and accepted his weaknesses.

            King David wasn’t the only Godly man who struggled with defeat and despair.  Elijah, a great spiritual warrior found himself so low he asked God to take his life!  (1 Kings 19:4)  If God can place these great men and others who appear in His Word for us to learn from, why can’t it be acceptable that I, too, have moments of despair?  

            I believe it’s what we do with that despair that matters.  Admitting we have a problem is the first step and then taking the necessary measures to move forward so we can again walk in the light.  We need to understand we are not alone and it isn’t our fault.  Our mind and souls can be damaged in ways we can’t understand.  It is our responsibility to get help for it, however.

            When Jesus was faced with death on the cross, he too was filled with anguish and despair, but he did not sin.  Still, in the Garden of Gethsemane, he asked his Father if there was another way, yet accepted, willingly, his destiny.   He understands what it means to be at a very low point in life.  

            We also need to remember, regardless of where we are in life, and whatever has a hold on us, God is still with us.  He is near to help us walk through the trial, whether it be through his Word, during our prayer time, with another Believer or Pastor, or even through a trained medical professional. 

            Being depressed or having other mental health issues can place our lives in turmoil, but we have a God who loves us, knows us, and wants to help us rise above it.  Sometimes that will mean recovery.  Other times it may be management.  Either way, we are not bad people when we feel weak, filled with despair and sadness, lost in a chasm of darkness.  God will pull us out when we reach for Him. 

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful more people are sharing about their mental health concerns. I have anxiety and panic attacks at times. I am thankful God gives wisdom to doctors who can help. :-)

    ReplyDelete