He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, March 9, 2020

Is It Faith Or A Feeling?

           I have only a vague memory of when I accepted Christ as Savior.  I have a clearer memory of being at the river and getting baptized!  I was around twelve years old.  (And that was after making a decision back when I was nine or ten.)  


            More than not remembering a specific date, I don’t remember a specific “feeling.”  I knew I’d accepted Jesus, but it wasn’t one of those explosive, fireworks kind of deal.  And I was a child, so needing to give up huge sin in my life wasn’t a cloud on my day either.  I did understand however, that sin does not enter the gates of heaven.  

            Of course, kids are kids and we do “stuff!”  But I can tell you, as a young person, I took care about that ‘sin matter!’ As I reached my mid-teens and even later teen years, I admit to ‘straying.’  But God took care of me and protected me from disasters that could have been.  I lived in a drug use world, yet wouldn’t have known it if it had hit me in the face.  Alcohol was another vice I never had use for.  

            During my early twenties, I realized I’d strayed.  I wanted back into the arms of an unfailing God, doing things his way, not my own.  I rededicated my life to Him and haven’t looked back.  There still were no fireworks, or explosions.  Still I knew that I knew, I had a clean slate.  God had forgiven me, and I was on the right track again.  It was about the way I felt, but I had renewed faith.  

            Faith empowers.   Faith produces obedience.  My life was again changed and I knew if I listened to his voice, his direction, his commands and still small voice, I’d hear it.  And I did.  There have been times when during prayers I get “Holy Ghost goosebumps!”  And it’s thrilling to know that God’s Spirit is being poured down on me!

            It’s exhilarating to know that I can do things in my life, that have nothing to do with me.  It’s about him!  Just like Abraham trusting in faith that God asked him to leave his country and “GO,”  or that Noah trusted in faith that God told him to build an ark, I know that I can trust what he tells me.

            It’s necessary to reach for His Word and prayerfully request assurance that what I’m hearing isn’t ‘me’ but Him.  But with real faith, He makes the way clear.  This is especially apparent when there doesn’t seem to be a way; when doors are closed and no windows open, God has the ability to make a way.  It’s humbling when you can look back and see God’s handprint all over where you’ve just been.  

           Over this next week I encourage you to meditate on His Word daily.  Spend time praying, but also allow time for listening.  Discover His voice.  If you're not sure it's The Lord, you may need to reach for His Word again, and even wait and pray again.  But it isn't uncommon for God to speak through your thoughts.  It does, however, require that what ever you 'hear' lines up with His Word.  He is a God of relationships.  What does his relationship with you look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment