He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, April 20, 2020

Prayer Changes Things

Prayer changes things.  I’ve heard this since I was a child, and absolutely believe it, yet while I pray every single day, I still struggle with ‘am I praying right?’  Do I ask God for the right thing, in the right time, at the right place and with a right mind and heart?  While I don’t ‘fret’ about it usually; sometimes I wonder.

There were times when I attended a Sunday School class or even a church meeting, and we went around the room to have prayer.  I often panicked thinking I wouldn’t have anything to say.  Let’s admit it.  There are those who say such eloquent prayers, I’m intimidated.  Is that sinful?  Maybe.  I hope not, but regardless I felt less qualified than these other speakers.  

I doubt that I’m alone.  I’ve heard others say, “I don’t pray out loud!”  There was one woman whom I respect very much and she surprised me one day by saying, she loved being the ‘silent pray-er.’  She said, “All I have to do is focus and say, Yes, Lord.  Yes, Lord!”  I believe many of us feel this way, although I hadn’t thought of it quite like that!

I’ve been working through a study called “What Happens When Women Pray?”  We’ve been deluged with changes in our world since the COVID-19 attack.  Going shopping, regular doctor appointments (eyes, dental, etc.) have been canceled—or rescheduled well into the future, going to church, visiting neighbors and even giving hugs has all been curtailed.  And now they are predicting a food shortage!  What’s next?

We as humans, need physical contact.  It’s what keeps us going.  God created us this way!  Instead, we are holed up in our homes, doing the best we can.  But it’s hard.  We are filled with anxiety and wonder who the next victim will be and where in the world will we be when this finally comes to an end, or will it end?

In 2 Corinthians 12, Paul cries to the Lord for healing of some kind of ailment which the Bible doesn’t share.  But he prays diligently three times for the removal of this condition.  Three times God tells him ‘no.’  Instead God tells him “My grace is sufficient for thee.”  Grace in this situation, I recently learned means more specifically, “God’s Divine influence on my heart.”  There is hope in that statement.

As we face more trials with families, finances and medical issues, we find ourselves on our knees crying out to God for help.  From what I’m reading, however, it’s important that we as a people cry out in unison.  We need to cry out in one accord.  God does care about where we are and what we are facing.

When we pray, are we focused on God, or does our mind wander to dinner plans, what outfit will be the best for today, what’s the weather going to be, where the kids are or a hundred other little paths our minds will take us, if we aren’t truly focused.  A true prayer isn’t necessarily said by rote.  God wants to hear our hearts not just our minds.  And when we pray, we must believe---believe that He hears us, and that He knows what’s best, in all situations!

God has the ability to influence our heart when we believe.  Not all our prayers will be answered the way we hope or ask, any more than they did for Paul.  But we can have peace knowing that God is still in control and will give us what we need and in just the right time.

Photo credit:  gettyimage.com 

1 comment:

  1. Even when my prayers are not answered in the way or time I want, I know God's plan is best.

    ReplyDelete