He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, July 20, 2020

Divine Providence

           
            A while back our family was facing a situation that involved a difficult decision.  I prayed that God would help us make the decision of how to handle it.  No answer seemed to come.  One day we would feel one way was the right thing to do, the next we weren’t sure.  I finally prayed that God would make something happen that would unmistakably give us the answer to our dilemma.  He did!  While we faced other decisions regarding this issue, we knew what steps we needed to begin taking.

            In a well-known Bible event, Ananias was troubled by what he saw in a vision.  He was to go see a man who was a well-known persecutor of the Jews; Saul.  Was he unsure whether he should go?  Was he uncertain about his mission?  Absolutely!  Yet, he followed his heart.  He followed the leading of the Lord and ended up baptizing Saul who became the great Apostle Paul.  (Acts 9:17b-18)

            Every day we are faced with situations that confound us.  What seems like a simple answer, somehow gets convoluted into something ridiculously disastrous!  While the answer seems right for one individual, it doesn’t suit another’s expectations.  Other times, our minds ask so many questions, we complicate what should have been an easy answer.

            These kinds of situations even turned up during the Civil War.  Brigadier General Don Carlos Buell was a respected leader during the war.  He was methodical and conscientious, with solid character and the ability to make hard decisions.  Yet, he lacked the wisdom and skill to become the leader his superiors wanted him to be. Ultimately this would affect his leadership responsibilities.

            During the war, Believers lived on both sides and prayed to the same God, certain God was on their side.  Each wanted signs they were fighting a just and worthy cause.   While we may not be in the center of a vicious war, very often in our daily lives, we reach out to God only when our own possibilities seem exhausted!  As Believers, God should be the first place we turn, instead of the last! 

            As we fight the battle of the Corona Virus, the political unrest, the protestors that cause civil unrest and all the racial accusations, it’s hard to know what to say to whom, without offending someone because they may disagree!  Each ‘side’ seems to have their own view, much like the situation during the Civil War. 

            Are all decisions clear?  No.  And sometimes we make mistakes, and are criticized for the choices made. There are times after prayer I’m still not sure I’m doing the right thing.  It could be because I really don’t want deal with an issue at hand, or, I am afraid.  It often means I need to pray more!

            Most often, however, when I follow my heart, after prayer, I can tell if I’m making the right or wrong decision.  Sometimes things just don’t work out for something I want to happen.  Is this coincidence?  I don’t think so.  I believe it is Divine Providence.  Sometimes my answer comes in a “non-answer!”  God intervenes in a variety of ways, and it is always for my good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment