He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, July 12, 2021

Unexpected Opportunities

 

     It seems no matter how hard we try, my husband and I repeatedly receive solicitation calls from telemarketers, via our phone; even our cell phones!  It’s increasingly annoying, and often we don’t even pick up if the phone call is identified as ‘unknown.’ Even when we do choose to answer, very often it’s a robotic call and not even a human!  So, we usually just hang up.  

Recently during a discussion about this problem, a friend of mine offered an alternative to being so disgruntled about the matter.  He and his wife have chosen to use these unexpected and annoying interruptions as ‘unexpected opportunities!


My friends tell the solicitor they would be happen to listen to their marketing proposal, if they would be willing to listen to theirs first!  This would be a perfect time to share the Good News of Christ to those who perhaps have never heard the Gospel of Jesus before!  What an idea!


They commented that sometimes they get willing listeners, other times the caller will hang up!  But how often do we find ourselves in a situation where we could simply share our story, and choose not to?  I expect, for me, it happens likely more than I’d like to admit!


My friend’s perspective on these unexpected opportunities reminded me that often we tend to believe our Pastor is responsible to spreading the Message.  He is certainly likely more versed in the scripture, and has had training with what to say and how to explain it.  He knows the ‘addresses’ of all the scriptures and can quote them verbatim.  (I seldom can do this.  I usually know the town (Book) and the persons involved and the gist of the words, but it scares me to trust ‘me’ to explain it correctly.)


That is where I’m making a HUGE mistake.  It’s not about me at all!  It’s about the Holy Spirit!  If the Spirit wants me to share my faith, there is scripture that assures me the Spirit will fill my mouth with words I should speak if He is guiding me!  Of course, however, I must be willing to trust He is with me and then allow Him to control the conversation!


Our world is going through dynamic changes.  We must not be afraid to share our faith with others, whether it be through word of mouth or even through the way we live our lives.  As the changes continue, we are going to be challenged to remain strong in our faith.  In doing this, others will see the Light of Christ, in and through us, and that is so important.


I encourage you to reach out to someone who you generally consider an annoyance or irritates you slightly and turn a negative into a positive!  Your gift of kindness may open the door of opportunity to share the Gospel, and enable someone else to have a relationship with Christ!  


Photo Credit:  https://www.pexels.com/search/telephone/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment