He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, August 15, 2022

Tears In A Bottle

 

         I admit, I’m an emotional kind of person.  I love to laugh, usually wear a smile, and am friendly.  On the flip side of this, however, I am also a crier, and tears can come quickly.  Tears can well up within my soul and fall from my eyes when I pray, feel God’s presence or am overcome with joy. 

Tears also can come from a 30-second commercial which moves me, and of course a Hallmark movie.  I cry when I am overcome with sadness when tragedy hits our family,  a friend is stricken with some kind of  trial, a loss in our community and even our nation.  Some days, if I’m particularly low, I feel the need to cry, but seemingly without reason.  I’m not sure I get that, but it is who I am.


A friend was telling me how she too, thought herself a crier, yet as she dealt with the cancer which stole her one son’s body, another son’s eyesight and a serious illness her husband dealt with, she could not cry.  She described her state of mind as carrying “a heavy weight attached to her ribs.”  She said it wasn’t until her husband passed away that she finally began to cry.


The tears, she said, however, came at the most inopportune times; and sometimes came in endless uncontrollable sobs.  Despite the way the tears came, she will tell you she considers the action of crying as a blessing, although she’d never before considered it that way.  After a ‘good cry’ she would get a sense of ‘relief’ she hadn’t experienced in years.  


It seems God knew we humans would need this ‘cleansing emotion’ delivered through tears, so we can heal and move forward.  Grief affects everyone differently, as do situations we experience. It’s often during these times we find ourselves drawing near to God in our distress; especially when we are experiencing a profound sadness, much uncertainty, and instability which can drive fear into our hearts.


Our tears can blur our vision as we struggle with pain and loneliness   Yet this blurred sight has the ability to teach and reveal God’s truths.  After we have recovered through God’s grace, His gentle heart, peace, comfort and unique joy, we discover opportunities to give aid to someone else’s pain, because we can so totally relate.


The Bible says God collects our tears in a bottle and he keeps record of all our sorrows. (See Psalm 56:8). God, in human form as Jesus, understood the pain of sorrow.  He wept over the loss of a good friend. He understands us in ways no one else can.


Our lives are filled with all kinds of surprising calamities.  During hard times, we are distracted and can have ‘tunnel vision’ causing us to often miss little blessings of life, including the sun shining, or the sound of a soft rain, the colors of the rainbow, and even the kindness of friends.  Perhaps we even miss the closeness of God.  But God is always with us, regardless of the circumstance we are facing.


If your heart is breaking, your spirit crumpled, or your physical body causing you all kinds of dismay, allow God to give you courage to keep walking forward.  Cry.  Give your tears to God as you begin to heal through His divine power.


https://www.pinterest.com/suchnicethingsfl/tear-bottle/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment