He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, January 23, 2023

The Right Place At The Right Time

      Friendship is a grand thing and sometimes we don’t realize the depth of that friendship until there is a crisis.  

About two years ago our family had a medical situation for which we were not prepared.  My husband ended up in the hospital while we were out of town, leaving me with no one to call.    Typically, when an incident like this occurs our instinct is to call our Pastor.  This is a good thing, because of the Spiritual and “Shepherding” element that gives us comfort. 


As mentioned, we were out of our local community--(in another state!) and I felt horribly alone.  There was a Pastor friend I knew, but honestly, never even considered contacting.  I think even if I’d thought of it, I’d have thought it inappropriate.  We were “friends,” but each Pastor has their own “flock,” their own “sheep,” if you will.  Many Pastors will not cross the boundaries of another, out of professional courtesy.  I get it, although, it’s a shame in a way, because there are times when Pastors are just busy and they have lives of their own.  They can’t attend to everything, all the time!


During this rough period, however, I contacted this Pastor/friend with a message regarding another matter.  When he found out what was going on, his immediate response, “Why didn’t you contact me?”  My honest response, “It never occurred to me!”


This Pastor was by my side, in the hospital, visiting my husband the next morning.  I cannot tell you how very grateful I was for his kindness and support.  It’s amazing how many emotions a person feels when life is turned upside down!  There is an element of fear, anxiety, and when not near others of your ‘normal support group,’ a level of lost-ness or a feeling of being totally alone.  


I know I am never alone and I know to “Never fear for God is always near.”  But when circumstances are so unexpected and in some cases, very frightening, satan will use whatever is available to assault even the most frail (or strong) emotions to cause a breakdown….or cause, at the very least, a possible faith buckler.  


I write all this to encourage you to love on your Pastor.  They are only human and have dedicated their lives to serving God through their congregations.  They can’t always be there for us, even though we expect them to be.  There may be others who have more urgent needs, and they have families and lives of their own.  They need as much kindness and consideration as we expect from them.  


It’s with a grateful heart that I know many pastors, each with unique qualities.  But today I am extremely grateful for the kind heart that stood by my side as I waited for the test results of my husband.  God is good and He puts the right people, in the right place, at just the right time!


Photo Credit:  free pictures of shepherds


#Friendship  #Pastors   #Hospital   #Emergencies  #UnexpectedCircumstances  #RememberYourPastor  

No comments:

Post a Comment