He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, April 3, 2023

Celebrate Every Day

       Easter is considered, in the Christian Faith as perhaps, the Holiest Day of the Year, called Resurrection Sunday.  It’s the day churches are filled to the brim, not only with regular church attendees, but those who only attend services occasionally.  The other service where Christians gather in mass, would be Christmas.


While I am delighted people across the world find themselves in services on Easter Sunday, it bothers me a bit, as well.  Resurrection Sunday is such a special day!  It’s celebrated in traditional ways, while across our world our cultures turn and skew it to make it ever more commercial.  


Palm Sunday, the Sunday before Easter celebrates Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem before his betrayal and crucifixion.  Palm branches were strewn on the ground as Jesus Christ rode on a lowly donkey in a demonstration of victory, as the people shouted, “Hosanna in the highest!”  Palm branches, as symbols of victory and goodness, were even carved on Solomon’s Temple.  


Palm branches are not available in all parts of the world, so other countries have used their native tree branches like willow or olive instead, to keep their traditions active, as they re-create the original celebration of Jesus’ triumphal entry.  


Aside from Sunrise services and Easter Egg Hunts, people around the globe celebrate Passion Week, with cantatas, pancake breakfasts, plays of the Passion of the Christ, musicals, Passover meals, and offer communion.  Some denominations offer Holy Eucharist Rites and foot washing, a children’s palm parade, an event of ‘Stations of the Cross,’ while still others offer music and dance to celebrate.


It’s a little like a birthday.  It happens only one day out of the year so, we celebrate with dinner, parties and gifts.  I remember as a child, being so excited as my birthday drew close.  I didn’t recognize that each of the other days during the year were also worth celebrating!  I had grown physically, challenged my mind mentally, grew in maturity and developed in ways I could not even comprehend!  


Mostly, it never even occurred to me that who I was developing into, was shaped and forged by environment; those things taught by teachers in school, scripture I learned in church and Sunday school classes, lessons from my parents and even my peers.  Yet, here I was waiting for one day to celebrate the entire passing of the year.  It was MY day and I was claiming it!


We often also, treat our faith a little like this.  We attend church faithfully, are kind to those we are around, pay our bills and try to live a godly life and then on Easter celebrate the Resurrection of Christ.  It’s like we forget we can celebrate His Resurrection every day of the year!  What an amazing gift!  The joy we feel on Easter isn’t reserved for that day!  Every day brings reason to celebrate a Risen Savior!


I encourage you to not only celebrate your faith on Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday, but every single day of the year!  Fill each day with jubilation, joy and praise!  We have a Redeemer that is Savior every single day!  Celebrate his Resurrection today and always!


#EasterCelebration  #EasterSunday  #ResurrectionSunday  #CelebrateEaster  #EasterCelebrations


Photo Credit: Free Palm Sunday pics 


No comments:

Post a Comment