He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, September 4, 2023

And Instead of Or

       I remember as a child hearing the expression “you can’t have your cake and eat it too.”  I suspect as a little person I didn’t totally understand the weight of that comment when related to real-life situations.  Certainly, as a young person, for example, I likely wanted to have money to spend on a desired toy, but once I spent it, I no longer had it!  I couldn’t have both, the money and the toy at the same time!  


During a conversation recently, the idea of “and” and “or” came up, because there are some huge gaps in words where the journey must be “or”, because “and” isn’t going to work!  For example, a person can desire change or stability.  Change is going to be unsettling creating instability.  Another might be conservative or liberal.  This is usually a political idiom and I certainly don’t want to get in a debate about this, yet I consider myself a conservative and miles away from being a liberal.  


Unify Rather Than Divide


Are there areas where “and” can unify rather than divide?  After some research, I found there are places where “and” is a necessity, especially from a Biblical sense.  Evangelism and discipleship, as one of my favorite pastors explained, is absolutely necessary, if a person or church is going to be able to grow.


Another area “and” is essential would be “multiple locations” and “one church.”  From a secular perspective, this is a contradiction.  How can it be multiple and still be one? It’s true there are varied denominations, which lends itself to the idea of “multiple locations” but scripture teaches we the people are “the church.”  We assemble in multiple locations to worship.  As Believers, we are urged to meet with other fellow Believers.  Certainly, given geography, it is necessary to meet in separate meeting places.  This does not, however, lessen our relationship with Christ, because each Believer is a member of “the one true church.”


One more example might be growth and assimilation.  I see this hugely impacting the music in our churches.  I admit, my favorite gospel music is Southern Gospel.  I enjoy the old hymns and the new songs in this genre.  I also totally enjoy the newer contemporary music.  The lyrics often cause me to embrace the music in an amazing sense of worship. I can assimilate and embrace both for a wondrous worship experience.  My husband, on the other hand, has a hard time with contemporary music.  Assimilation, therefore for him, is very difficult.  Yet, the contemporary music helps draw in the younger population.  In this case, it must be “and” rather than “or” if our congregations are to continue to grow.


Growth In 'And Instead of Or'


I encourage you to consider decisions that require “and” or “or.”  Does choosing “or” create a separation which hinders Christian growth, but does not go against your Christian beliefs?  Is it a preference or does scripture clarify the “right and wrong” of it?  Are there alternatives which enable “and” being used, again while not going against God’s Word?


Sometimes “or” or even a “no” must be used, because God’s Word doesn’t offer an option.  But when we want to encourage growth, rather than stifle it, we would benefit by using and believing in, “and.”


Photo Credit: https://www.freepik.com/free-photos-vectors/cake/8 

No comments:

Post a Comment