He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Behind The Costume


      Halloween seems to be a holiday people either love or hate.  I enjoy the silliness or cute side of it, but am never happy with the horror side.  It’s just not my personality. 

I remember trick or treating only once when I was a child, in third grade.  We didn’t have ‘real’ costumes, so my sister and I wore a paper sack on our heads.  I don’t remember much else; not even eating the ‘treats’.  


As time passed and my own family grew, my husband and I did have costumes for our children and even went ‘trick or treating’ on occasion, even though neither of us were big fans.  The school parades with all the children dressed in their costumes, as well as the adults, always seemed harmless and even fun.


My belief system has always been pretty strong, but as I’ve grown and matured as a Christian, I can see my views being altered, as I continue to study the Word and learn scripture.  


I recently came across an article which caused me pause, regarding Halloween.  I think I always knew it began as a pagan holiday, but never thought much about it, although I’ve always hated the ideas of witches, warlocks, spells and anything ‘horror’.  These feelings have been further compounded as Halloween has become more and more dark as the ‘horror side’ of the holiday is gripping tighter as dark music, movies, costumes and even harmful events seem to be escalating every year.


The article however, in summary, suggested that participating in Halloween gives Satan complete delight because he sees this as an opportunity.  According to a former Satanist, parents (and the adults who also dress up) are allowing their children at least one night of celebrating Satan the the Satanic world.  I was totally flabbergasted—and terrified.  Never had I ever considered such a thought.  As a Believer I can’t help wonder if he’s right!  


We offer, as Christians, an alternative to ‘trick or treating’ with ‘trunk or treat’.  The concept seems right enough.  It takes children off the streets and potentially ‘scary’ neighborhoods and places them and their families within the protected borders of those who have faith in Jesus.  This also provides the opportunity to invite them to church and offer Christian material.


But it makes me wonder.  Are we sending mixed messages?  Are we saying it’s okay to partake of the ‘dark world’ as long as we ‘partake' in the right environment?  I don’t know.  Perhaps none of this makes sense.  Perhaps you even think I may be over reacting.  Maybe I am.


I reached for the Bible to find answers.  I found a few verses which helped me, and may or may not help you.  Please understand, I’m not here to judge your participation or feelings on Halloween.  I just wondered about mine. 


Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.  For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.   Ephesians 6:11-12


.... the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to be participants with demons.  You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord’s table and the table of demons.   1 Corinthians 10:20-21


There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead.  Deuteronomy 18:10-12

No comments:

Post a Comment