He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, November 20, 2023

Happy Thanksgiving

  “I remember Thanksgiving Day from my youth,” said a friend one day.  “It was such an amazing time of relaxing and sharing.  My aunts, uncles and cousins, along with Mom and Dad and my siblings would all gather over at my grandmother’s house where we shared an incredible meal of turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and beets or some other vegetable, cranberry sauce, fresh bread and lemonade or tea to drink.  

“The adults sat around and caught up on all the family news while the kids played games or even football if the weather was agreeable.  Sometimes someone would pull out a checker board or even monopoly or chess.  It was really entertaining watching the teen boys trying to figure out who would do what in that particular game.  They’d end up playing the winner and the competition could go on for hours.  

“The teen girls and my aunts would all help in the kitchen until the meal was done.  Of course every one brought something to share even with all the “fixin’s” Grandma would fix.  And then the dessert!  Oh my goodness!  There were pies of every description, brownies, cookies, and there were even times we actually made homemade ice cream.  It made for a long day, but it was awesome!

“We don’t do that anymore,” she lamented.  “And what’s sad is as an adult with children and grandchildren of my own, I’m not seeing that tradition continued.  Oh sure, those who live close come to eat, but not until most of the meal is finished.  The kids, instead of playing with each other watch TV, and then there is football.  It’s all changed.  After dinner and the kitchen is cleaned up, we share dessert and then everyone goes home.  The house is left empty and sad.”

I related to my friend’s story.  My own children are spread across the United States.  It’s difficult getting all of them together in one place for any holiday!  So I am especially thankful I have one of my five children and four of my seventeen grandchildren close to share Thanksgiving.  

Early in the day the grandchildren come in to watch the parade on TV while their momma and I work on dinner.  My husband and son-in-law are usually outside doing “guy” stuff, while waiting for football to come on after the parade.  

When we gather around the table, we hold hands to say grace, and with thankful hearts ask for blessing on the food, and for those who are with us only in our hearts.  We, like my friend lament the missing siblings and families, but are thankful they remain part of our lives, even though many miles separate us.  

We recall times at the Thanksgiving dinner table of when they were small, sharing some silly stories and some serious.  We are thankful for first responders, like our son-in-law who protects us as a police officer and for all those within our family, both immediate and distant who, by design, are part of our family.  

We are also thankful for all those people who have touched our lives, whether directly or indirectly and caused a smile.  We are thankful for our church family and a country where we can worship and teach our children respect, morals and the meaning of love, life and family.  We are so very blessed!

I am thankful for YOU!  I am grateful you choose to read my words and make my work worthwhile.  Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!


#HappyThanksgiving   #ThankfulHeart  #Blessed  #Blessings  #TurkeyDinner  #Family #memories


Photo Credit:  https://www.istockphoto.com/search/2/image?phrase=thanksgiving

No comments:

Post a Comment