He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, March 25, 2024

My Best Friend

  Another Believer and I have been involved in a Bible Study.  A couple days ago we were asked to name a mentor, a woman who is energized for the Lord, one who we look up to and enjoy spending time with, and is quick to ask if we’ve looked into the scriptures whenever we are faced with some kind of issue that has us rattled.  I did come up with a woman such as this, but I also came up with a young man I know well who also fits this description.  Many times I’ve said, “I’d love to have his strength; his faith.”

Is there someone in your life who you can count on in any situation?  This person is often called a friend, even a best friend.  I remember for years wanting a “best friend” and for whatever reason, I never seemed to have one.  Oh I had friends, all right.  I had lots of them.  But to say I had a best friend, just didn’t seem to be available to me.


There’s a story about two sisters who had a discussion about friends, that was especially difficult as they became adults.  They were as different as day and night;  had different perspective on lives, different views on faith, attitudes, and things; and people in general.  There was a discussion one night where one sister asked if they could be best friends.  The other sister said, she would always love her as a sister, but best friend relationships aren’t chosen that way.  They are developed over time, nurtured on both sides and it grows into the relationship it becomes.  This relationship can stand the test of time and is the groundwork for sharing secrets, pain and happiness.  


    We are about to celebrate Easter.  It’s the celebration of Jesus who gave his life’s blood for the whole world.  The concept that God could love us so much as to offer his Son as the ultimate sacrifice is mind boggling.  Yet this is truth.  


Do you know of anyone who would be willing to die such a cruel death on a cross where feet and hands have nails pierced through and then left to hang there until dead?  My mind rejects this picture yet, again, this is truth!


Jesus, our Messiah, who gave His life willingly, wants the kind of relationship that says ‘You are my best friend!’  He loved, He served, cared for the poor, had compassion, understood pain and grief, knew the power of temptation, had the authority to forgive sins and was willing to go to the cross to offer a path of salvation.  His love is even greater than that of a mother, who from a human perspective has the kind of love barely describable.  God’s love —Jesus’ love— is a perfect love, without any faults or human frailties.  


So I challenge you to look at your relationships.  Do you have a “best friend” who you can always count on?  Are you that kind of friend?  Do you know Jesus as your ultimate “best friend?”  I hope you do.  If not, I encourage you make Him your personal Savior and Best Friend right this moment.


Photo Credit:  https://www.pexels.com/search/friendship/

No comments:

Post a Comment