He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, April 15, 2024

Do You Have A Dream?

  I’ve been writing for many years; yet I find myself still struggling with the word ‘success’.   I have written books, Christian curriculum, children’s books— and currently, more specifically, children’s (and middle school) disability books which are both in a series and I even write two weekly blogs.  Still I look at those who have very successful writing careers and wonder what I’m doing wrong. 

My dream isn’t about doing something that makes me rich and famous, but rather to do something that is fundamentally good and to make a difference.

I read an article recently about another writer who had a similar dream.  Hers involved being part of a ministry that wasn’t immediately received that way, yet she prayed about being part of it and believed God put her in this place.  She said her journey was not clearly defined when she started, and the ‘how-to’ was also a bit vague.  Still following her heart, she dove in.

In addition to being part of this ‘not well defined goal’ she had life struggles which made her wonder what in the world she was doing.  I absolutely, —and perhaps you do too—, can identify with this picture.  While we don’t have the answers we continue to do our best to move forward regardless of the nay-sayers and our lack of self confidence.

A song came out some years ago which on the very first listen, made me cry, “But God.”  Even now (literally) after all these years, the very whisper of those words bring tears to my eyes.  I think about how I started and where I am now.  It’s been a journey I hadn’t planned on. 

Disabilities were not in my mindset, perhaps not even in my vocabulary.  Certainly I knew what they were and that people had to deal with them.  I, however had limited access.  Yet, quite by coincidence (or as I like to think about it ‘God-incidence’) I landed right in the middle of Special Needs.  

The journey has been bumpy, surprising, exhilarating, challenging, rewarding and very educational!  I still don’t feel very enlightened about all the problems, anxieties, loneliness, struggles and courage it takes to get through the day for someone who has a disability.

But one thing I have learned for certain, is God is in control!  He chooses the most unlikely persons to do the most unlikely things!  He used Abraham and Sarah to have a child who would give birth to a nation; Rahab, a prostitute to help His people; the disciples --who were all ordinary men, including being fishermen; and Peter who would deny him three times yet would begin the early church.  He used Paul who, as Saul was a vicious hater and prosecutor of all Believers, and the list could go on for days!

I had a dream.  I wanted to write, and while I hadn’t a clue where it would take me, I jumped in.  I didn’t really have a plan, I just wrote.  I tried various genres, but found my home in the most unlikely place.

I still struggle with all that I don’t know and some days feel totally inept!  Whether my blogs or other works are only read by 25 people or 25,000 is really irrelevant if I am following God’s plan.  God does not care about ‘our numbers’.  He cares that we are obedient.  His success plan can be totally different from ours.

Isn’t that what we all want?  As a Believer we want to believe we are following God’s call and being obedient even when we don’t understand, have much to learn, and run into stone walls.  Just yesterday during the Pastor's sermon, he said, comparing yourself to others is wrong.  God has a specific plan for each of us.

Where is your dream leading you?  Is there something, even if you aren’t sure you are qualified to do, that continues to tug at your heartstrings, begging you to give a try?  It may mean starting small, taking those baby steps which may seem impossible to define, or conversely taking a huge step which can scare you breathless! 

In whatever way you feel God calling you to move forward, seek His face and begin the journey that will ‘grow your relationship’ with him and where you will ultimately find your ‘happy place.’   


Photo credit: https://depositphotos.com/photos/dreams.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment