He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, August 27, 2012

The Stones Will Cry Out


Yesterday was wonderful.  All day, it seemed thunder rolled in the heavens all around us.  We didn’t get much rain like other parts of the area received and for that I am thankful, but the sounds and sight of lightening, I find inspiring!  (And, yes, that may make me a little odd, but I do love a good thunderstorm!)   It reminds me there is a God who is in control of the universe which He created.  He is magnificent and it is right to praise Him.  Yet there are times when we forget or simply choose not to. 

Jesus told the Pharisees that if people didn't praise him then the stones would cry out.   I have a hard time picturing stones speaking like Jesus described in the scripture, yet I have a hard time picturing God speaking through a burning bush, as well; but I know it is truth.  

As I thought about the visual of stones speaking, my mind starting thinking about other sounds that, while I don’t necessarily think as “speaking” could be considered articulating or at the very least communicating something worth listening to!  When giant waves hit the shore at the ocean isn’t there a roaring that can cause humans to find it difficult to hear another person speak?  When lightning strikes a tree or other inanimate object can you not hear the strike?  When thunder rolls and crashes in the heavens can the sound not be deafening?  When a volcano erupts isn’t there a great rumbling and wailing before it spews ash into the air?  Can you not hear a great wind when it blows or even howls during a hurricane, blizzard or tornado? Do not giant waterfalls roar with great strength and power?   

Do the birds not sing, and  squirrels make tiny barking sounds, while whales and dolphins call out to each other?  Crickets chirp and the hummingbird squeaks while his wings whirr in the air at an amazing speed. Can you not hear the dog bark or tiny kitten mew?  The list of unlikely objects creating a sound and animals speaking seems to be endless.  Why, then, does it seem unlikely that stones would cry out to a worthy God if we humans did not? 

We are much more valuable to God than a stone.  Shouldn’t we, then, consider it a blessing to be able to praise our Almighty God?  Why do we shrink from this gift?  I wish I knew and I’m as guilty as the next person!  But this verse reminds me that praise is right, praise is proper and praise is an offering that gives God great pleasure.  

I hope you find everyday this a week a reason to celebrate and then remember to give praise and thanksgiving to a worthy, living God!

When he came near the place where the road goes down the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen:  "Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!" "Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!"  Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, "Teacher, rebuke your disciples!"  "I tell you," he replied, "if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." Luke 19:37-40

No comments:

Post a Comment