He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, October 1, 2012

A Test of Friendship



       I have a friend who shared the story about someone she knew (I’ll call Jesse) who chose to take a path in life that surprised many and caused a division in relationships that can only be mended by the hand of God.  Jesse remained in touch with some of her former friends but others chose to disassociate with her completely, hurting persons on both sides of the equation.
       To make matters worse, my friend wanted to stay connected with Jesse, but due to circumstances beyond her control, could not.  Jesse did not understand, and it caused even more hurt. 
       Friendships are fragile and should be handled with care but also, prayer.  This situation made me think more about the friendship between Jonathan and David which I wrote about last week.  They were fiercely loyal to one another and didn’t doubt the threads of their relationship.  My friend wanted to keep her threads of friendship intact, but couldn’t.  Does this mean she was not loyal?  Would her friend ever understand?  And if there’s no communication how can the knots ever become untangled?
       Sometimes friendships seem to need to be tested for loyalty.  It’s tough to know how far, depending on the circumstances, a person has to go to prove their honesty and integrity when it seems these values have been compromised; “seems” being the operative word.  Sometimes it’s just a misunderstanding.
       The Pastor yesterday was talking about building people up and how what comes out of our mouths should be truthful and said with love.  There are times when we say the truth, but what we say lacks in love and then there are those situations where expressions of love are given, but being honest about a situation isn’t happening because we’re afraid of hurting someone’s feelings.   And then there’s the combined circumstance of truth being shared but with a heart of love.  It seems to me the best scenario for my friend is going to be  “truth covered in love.” This may be the only place healing can begin.
     I hope your week is filled with honest and loving doses of "building up" both as a receiver of such kindness and as a giver to "build someone else up!"
 Proverbs 17:17  A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Margie....I remember being told that before I think what I have to say is so important, I need to ask myself...is it true, is it kind, is it necessary.

    ReplyDelete