He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, August 5, 2013

A Philosophy For Life



         
With the journey to Jerusalem comes the renewed desire to be all God wants me to be.  It also convicts me to look at my life to see just “how” I honor him.   Perhaps you remember the 2006 movie, “Facing The Giants.”  It is at the top of my favorite movie list.  I remember the scene where the coach, after diligently searching God’s word, created a new philosophy for the team.  Showing his wife his findings, she responded.  “So this is your new football philosophy?  It applies to all of life, not just football."  Yet, I was perplexed when I wanted to find his “philosophy” that changed the perspective and heart of the coach’s entire team.  Unlike the “The Love Dare” book that followed the movie “Fireproof” in 2008, the philosophy was not printed, so I set out to find, and even “create” my personal Biblical philosophy.  I’ve been working on it for a while and over the next weeks will share what I have come up with.  I hope you will share the journey, and by all means your thoughts!  

            All that said, I will begin with the very idea of “honoring God.”  In what areas of my life could I honor God?  God’s word tells me in Colossians 3:23: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.”  So first I must look at my work.  Personally that would be my writing.  Does what I do honor God?  Does my message honor Him?  How do I respond to my work load, my “projects,” my discouragements, encouragement, criticism, or goals?

            Secondly I find in 1Corinthians 6:20:  “You were bought at a price.  Therefore honor God with your body.”  So, very clearly I am instructed to care for body, which for me includes diet and exercise, (I’m not good at this one!)   Our cultural tendencies are to maintain a lifestyle well above our means, eat foods that are sweet to our taste buds, but offensive to the rest of our body; medicating everything with pills; from pills to wake and pills to sleep along with everything in between. How can I change what has become acceptable?  Does what I eat provide harmony to my lifestyle and overall health habits?

And then there is the mind.  A Biblical perspective on this idea can be found in Philippians 4:8.  “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.”  So am I responsible in my reading material, viewing habits and what I say? Our culture thrives on entertainment of any kind, even on the evil and immoral. Does what I read, view and say honor God?

Not only are there the mind, spirit, body and work to consider, there is also my behavior, my heart and spirit.  According to Hebrews 10:26: “If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left.   Are my actions and behaviors honoring God?

            Spiritually I know I must honor God.  2 Timothy 2:15 says: Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved.  A workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.”   Again our culture has tendencies to “do what feels good with the belief God no longer exists and even if he does, I certainly don’t want Him running my life!”  Yet I know He is alive and provides the very basic needs and meaning for my life, giving me positive and good principals to live by.  Is my heart looking to Him, rather than selfish interests?  What is my “personal fruit?”   Do I use my imagination, conscience, independent will and self-awareness in a desire to know God; to grow spiritually?

As I see it, there are a lot of areas in which I am to honor God.  In fact all I do should honor God.  Each of these areas over lap and have direct ramifications in my relationships.  Over the next weeks, I will address these areas individually and hopefully when I am completely finished I will have a fairly comprehensive philosophy which can in essence be a guideline to the way I can best honor God with my life.  I hope you will join me on the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment