He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, September 16, 2013

My Personal Philosophy For Life



            It’s interesting to actually sit down and write a personal philosophy for life.  Generally speaking I think most of the time we don’t focus on what we believe so much as what we absorb from our environment and other people we know.  We tend to go with the flow, getting as much accomplished as necessary to make “the powers that be” happy while not necessarily even considering what makes us happy or if what we are doing honors God.  Yet, when we stop and think about it, everything we do is a direct reflection of what we think, our attitudes on various subjects, our core beliefs, limitations, expectations or even standards we live by.  It’s a choice even when we don’t recognize it!

            I am choosing to share at least a glimpse into what I consider an important guideline for my life, or my personal philosophy, through what I have learned about myself while studying the Bible and other resources I consider valid.   What I share will be even more specific as I formulate measurable goals in each area once this part is completed.   So….here goes!


To honor God with my life I will choose to instill a passion for Christ within me as perfect my faith through Bible study and prayer, feeding my spirit on all that is good through the letters God has written to guide me.  I will focus my mind on His teaching, while desiring discernment to be obedient, keeping my eyes and heart alert for spiritual truths.  

I will use my time, God given abilities and potential to make a contribution in Christian service through my writing and whatever other means God provides, as I communicate His love and grace to others, attempting the highest level of quality I can humanly achieve believing God will use my work to touch the lives of others.  

I will choose to treat my body as the holy temple God has called it to be through diet and exercise, while choosing to make myself as attractive as possible whether I am home or away.   I will read quality material which is encouraging, while continuing a lifetime of education on diverse subjects through a variety of mediums, which will stimulate my thinking.  

I will display patience to the best of my ability while attempting to be fair in all circumstances; live a life of integrity and honesty, speaking words of kindness and encouragement to everyone I see despite the circumstance in which I find myself.  

I acknowledge not everyone thinks as I do or shares my beliefs or value system. I will accept being different when it aligns with my value system, beliefs and disciplines.  I will never give up on my dreams no matter how impossible they seem, knowing ultimately while using free will to make informed decisions, God, my Creator, has a plan greater than my imagination can fathom, and it is He who is in control.


Now....all that said, it is likely I will add to it, tweak it or otherwise change wording as time (even years) go by.  But at least I have a starting point and I'm happy about that!  I hope you've enjoyed this series and that it has inspired you to take a look at what you believe, your value system, your dreams and ways to make it possible.  Mostly, however, I hope that you can identify God as the center of your plan and your life!  Have a great week!
           

2 comments:

  1. I like. :) I think all of these go hand in hand. By keeping God at the center of all aspects of your life you will be successful. Even on those days when you just have to stay in your sweatpants, if the focus is on God and what He has for you on that day it will be a successful and good day. It doesn't matter our circumstances or other people's attitudes on any given day, if we focus on God, nothing can steal our joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Well said.... "Focus, focus, focus!" ....not always easy!

    ReplyDelete