He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, November 11, 2013

Choosing a Good Book

           I had an interesting revelation this morning.  Someone wrote, “Jesus was a reader.”  He read the scriptures the Father had given his people.  I had never thought of that!  There are times when I would enjoy nothing more than curling up with a good book.  Now that said, everyone has their own opinion of what constitutes a “good book.”  I generally feel guilty when I do take the time to sit and read a while because there is a long list of “stuff” waiting on me to be completed.

Last night in church the Pastor was talking about how Christianity has been around for over two thousand years, yet the Bible, as we know it, has only been available about 350 years.  Before the Reformation, people were read to.  Most people were illiterate and paper was an issue as was printing.  The Bibles which were available were hand written and belonged to the elite.  It wasn’t until the 1380’s when John Wycliffe began producing hand written Bible manuscripts so more people could have their own copy.

What really strikes me though is, when the church first started there was such fervency to share the New Gospel.  People wanted to share and others wanted to hear.  When it came time to share scriptures it required someone to read the material.  Despite this handicap, many lives were transformed when they chose to follow Jesus.  We have the written Word, often in a variety of translations and I would suggest that most of us can barely claim that the Bible is a book we would choose to curl up with and read as a “good book.”  I admit I would fall in that category. 

I love the challenge of studying the Word and am involved in several different studies.  But to just sit down on a day like we had recently: dreary and damp, a good book reading day, I probably would look first to my shelf of other non-fiction books and then if none of those struck me, pick up a fiction one. 

What do you suppose the saints in heaven will say to those of us who have the Word and choose not to read it when we reach the Golden Shore?  Do you think they will ask “why?”  We are so blessed and don’t even realize it!  We have before us “God’s love letters” to us!  Would you re-read a love letter sent from your beloved more than once?  I know I have.  Why is it so difficult to look at God’s Word in that manner? 

There are countless gems to be uncovered and truths to guide us in daily living.  Why do we choose to put off picking up the Bible to read when it is the very essence of God?  I challenge you this week to choose a book of the Bible and read it through.  Read it to know God.  Read it to learn about Jesus, our Lord and Savior.  Read it to hear what The Lord has to say to you personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment