He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, November 18, 2013

My Dearest Friend



            Thanksgiving is only a little over a week away and it’s been interesting to see the variety of posts people have put on face book about the different things they are thankful for.  It seems each day the person participating in the exercise adds something else specific for which he/she is grateful.  

            I am thankful for many things, but this week and next I want to express my thankfulness for friends.  It’s funny, my first thought was that friends come at all levels and that is certainly true.  But when I think of my very best friend, I have to say it’s Jesus, my Lord and Savior.

               There are those who may
laugh or scoff at the very idea, but I will tell you without this particular friend, life would be totally and completely useless; futile and without purpose.

             A true friend comes at great cost, requiring as much giving as taking.  It requires taking initiative to find ways to encourage, displaying kindness, and leaving yourself vulnerable to hurt or disappointment.  It seems no matter how wonderful our friends are, human nature has a way of reminding us of just that:  we are human!  

            That said, the seeds of deception, racial separations, political lines, status levels or moral ills seem to invade the space we claim as our own.  Each person is susceptible to the dangers of the weaknesses we all have.  There are no boundaries for such experiences.  It is part of this life we live here on earth.  We all have tendencies, even when we don’t recognize it, to put people in a “box.”  Our feelings and prejudices are sometimes apparent to others before we recognize them.  Sometimes we project these feelings subtly while other times our words leap out of our mouths at just the wrong time!  It doesn’t have to be deliberate.  Often we’ve been conditioned to feel a certain way and separate and divide out of habit.

            I think that might be one reason I consider Jesus my dearest friend.  First and foremost, the cost of his friendship includes His death on a cross.  He gave the greatest sacrifice anyone could give: his very life for my sins although he knew no sin.  He demonstrated kindness throughout his ministry and he gave us His word for guidance and encouragement.  He was (or is) the perfect role model.  He doesn’t care what color my skin is, what culture I come from, whether I am rich or poor, what kind of work I do or whether I am Republican or Democrat or something in between.  What He cares about is my heart!  Do I love Him and put Him first before everyone and everything else?  Do I consider him my “dearest friend?”

One element of friendship with The Lord which defies human comparison is hurt and disappointment.  Because we are human, we hurt and get hurt.  It doesn’t have to be deliberate, but often we can’t live up to the expectations of others.  We are frail, often narrow minded and can only function on and through our human-ness.  Jesus doesn’t disappoint and can be counted on steadfastly, no matter what the situation.  Additionally, He doesn’t deceive.  What is written in His Word is truth and can be trusted and relied on as the perfect instruction manual for my life.  

As I began this writing, I will end it.  I have much for which to be thankful.  God is my power and my strength and He makes my way perfect, even when I don’t understand.  (Taken from 2 Samuel 22:33)  I can count on this at true and unfailing.  Jesus is my Perfect Friend!

I hope you have a great pre-Thanksgiving week as you reflect on all your blessings.



No comments:

Post a Comment