He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, January 20, 2014

Great Expectations



Someone said to me once, “I stopped reading romance books because it gave me expectations for my husband.  He couldn’t compete and it left me feeling down and disappointed.”  Sadly, I can relate to unmet expectations!  I think if we were honest, most of our expectations often exceed what is really going to be our reality. 

            When I read Proverbs 31 describing the wife of noble character, I cringe with horror! 

don’t nearly fit that description.  And then there are the images I have of Amish wives.  I have been in an Amish home and it is spotless!  And these ladies are known for their incredible cooking and baking abilities!  While my expectations of myself aren’t at the top of the ladder, I fall well below what I’d like to do, to be, to accomplish, how I’d like to look and on and on, ---on a daily basis.  How do I measure up to my husband; my family or others?


            Expectations don’t just arise with wives and husbands.  There are expectations between all natures of relationships:  husband to wives, mother to child, child to parents, teachers to students, employees to employers, retailers to consumers and on and on.  And of course each one mentioned is reflected back the other way.

            Do you ever think about your expectations?  Even as I write these words, I wonder about the expectations of the reader.  And you, as reader, have expectations of what you are reading.  Are expectations conditioned?  Is it something we learn or is it innate?   I know young people have innate expectations of their parents.  They rely on them to take care of their physical needs like providing a home and food to eat.  They expect their emotional needs to be taken care of, as well.  They expect hugs and other forms of physical touch, as well as, verbal declarations of the emotional tie to those they call Mom and Dad.

            As we get older, we have expectations of our teachers and that is probably also innate, as are others, but I’m not sure as I look at the short list I created which ones are conditioned, learned, or even innate.  Truth is expectations vary from person to person.  

            Then this morning I read about being patient with God.  As ludicrous as it sounds, I never thought of that before.  While I have always known things are done in His time, it still never occurred to me to “be patient with God.” So the question then arises: what expectations do I have of God?  

Clearly His word is filled with examples and declarations of his care and desire for us to be all we can be.  Do I expect God to make me the way he wants me, just like that?  Do I expect a miracle without any effort?  Do I expect God to save me when I make a decision based on my own choices instead of following his guidance?  No, of course not; but He will provide the means for me to walk in His way despite my mistakes, if I am open to Him.  

So there are absolutely expectations!  God will completely provide for my needs, fulfill the desire of my heart, love and care for me as long as I stay in His will.  Will I have unmet expectations from God?  Only if I don’t trust him to know what is best for me.  He is Sovereign and no human can claim anything near that.  He knew me before I was born.  If I stay in His Word, in His will and in fellowship with Him, the expectations I have from God will be completely fulfilled…..and believe me….I count on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment