He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, February 10, 2014

God’s Mercy



            As I think about the word mercy, I can’t help but think of the song, “I Stand In Awe.”  It’s one of those songs with powerful lyrics which make me cry.  The mercy, grace and majesty God displayed at the cross can never be duplicated.  Yet, that mercy is an example of how I am to live my life, regardless of circumstances. (I’ve included the link where you can listen to the song.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvipuRC0ntg
 
            There are times we each reach a level of exasperation in circumstances and would love nothing more than exploding over perceived injustices.  But what if we are enduring a “season of suffering” which is sensitizing us to the injuries of other shattered lives?  What if we are being tested in our faith?  What if it’s a time where God wants us to simply trust Him to let the “battle be his” to demonstrate his power?

God answers prayers.  I am as certain of this as I am of breathing.  As I look back over the past week, there are a variety of places I can see the reality of this: reassurance through His Word, that still small voice, the peace that passes all understanding, through the song that reverberates through my mind, in conversations with friends or family that gives me understanding, even through the sun the rises every morning and the rainbow after a storm.  I can have peace because I can know He is in control.

            We are often called to do something greater than us.  Accomplishing the task requires a consistent walk with the Lord so we can have discernment and a clear understanding of His will. Sometimes just being in a situation where “we can do nothing except wait on Him” requires immense faith, and ultimately mercy since this has the potential to put us in a situation to extend kindness and forgive when we’ve been treated harshly.  Isn’t that what Jesus did at the cross?

            It is wonderful to know God knows every single piece of the puzzle, even the broken ones and those pieces where layers have been peeled away, or covered by years of pain.  He wants our lives to be impacted by the lessons we learn and by the people he sends our way to help us through whatever difficulty we are facing.  More than anything, I believe God wants us to believe and know without question that He knows the beginning and the end.  He is a God of mercy who understands every circumstance and wants more than anything, a relationship built on love, faithfulness.  Our lives need to be Christ filled and Christ centered.  This is where we will ultimately find wholeness, and peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment