He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, February 17, 2014

His Plan Is The Plan



A friend told me this week, “Fate is not part of God's plan. His plan is the plan.”  What a profound thought.  According to the dictionary, fate is said to be “the development of events beyond a person's control, regarded as determined by a supernatural power.”  Depending on your perspective that could infer that “fate” is determined by God, or as an unbeliever some other kind of “supernatural power.”  I would suggest the rest of this thought drives home where, we as Christians need to focus.  “His [God’s] plan is the plan.”

We all face difficulties every day in some form.  Life at its best sends little annoyances to heighten our senses to what is important.  Life at its worst sends a crisis and struggle that seems insurmountable through our own means.  It may be an illness, the loss of a loved one, the rebellion of a child, broken dreams, or the breakup of a marriage.  It can be an arduous journey where recovery seems unlikely or evidence of moving forward is marred by daily injections of sadness and strife.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mountain+pictures&client
There’s a song called “The God of the Mountain” which touches my heart. (Songs have a way with me.  Have you noticed?)  As I consider how life tends to change our dreams into despair, love into battles, brokenness and bitterness, I am reminded through this song that the God up on the mountain when life is good, is still the same God who will lift me, hold me and carry me when my life is turned upside down and I am filled with grief and despair.

            It is reassuring to know that His plan is the plan!  We can’t know if the next person we meet is in God’s plan as the perfect one to build us up, and move us to our next adventure and destination.  I have found it doesn’t have to make sense and often doesn’t.  The most unlikely person or circumstance can be used of God to be the catalyst to recovery.  I’ve even seen a person from the past reappear seemingly out of nowhere, to be the just the one He uses to pull a situation out of the murk and mire to bring on a whole new perspective.  I serve a God with a sense of humor, unparalleled compassion, and a love for his children that took him all the way to the cross.  Do you really think with that kind of love, He’d give up on us?
 
            All that said, I would suggest we each are responsible to those we know and even the stranger who is simply a friend we haven’t met yet, to be the light God has called us to be.  It may be one of us being called to fill the role of “angel” to fill a need in someone’s life.   It may be years before our smile, random act of kindness, understanding, tenderness or listening ear becomes known to us, as having had an effect on someone.

            I’m glad my God is real and that He is the same whether on the mountain where life is good or in the valley where I feel shattered and in a million tiny pieces. 




No comments:

Post a Comment