He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, March 31, 2014

The Hits Keep Coming

            It’s been a tough week!  On Sunday our Pastor of many years, shared he was retiring and the same day a prominent family in the church shared they were moving across country!  Add to that, I had news a friend’s plans were completely turned upside down and all I could do was write in my journal: “The hits keep coming!"

https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+in+my+life+for+a+reason
            I am an emotional person who cries when sad.  So Sunday I cried!  I cried for the loss I was feeling for our amazing and kind Pastor, and for the family I’d also grown to love.  And then I cried on Tuesday for the grief my friend was bearing!  Another friend sent me this message a couple days later concerning a conversation we were having discussing our tears.   I believe that means that although our hearts are fragile, they are still pliable and not hard – and that the Lord’s touch can shape us into something brand new, according to His will and His timing. And that’s a blessing, even though the squeezing and forming by His loving hands can seem unbearable.”  What a profound thought!

            Even as the tears of loss engulf me, I am grateful for those people God puts in my life, even when they seem snatched away without any regard to my feelings!  (It really isn’t about me at all anyway–or it shouldn’t be!)  Lives change, people grow and move on.  But isn’t it wonderful that while these precious people are in my life I can lean on them, learn from them, grow and mostly love.  

There’s a quote I’ve seen many times about people being in your life for a “season.”  I’ve included at the end of this post the poem, “Reason, Season, Lifetime” (author unknown) which is likely the source of the quote.  

            Even though I know it to be truth, I am still always amazed at how God works out details in my life through other people.  I can’t always see the immediate impact, but very often as I reflect on the situation, days, weeks or months later, I can say, “God sent this person to get me through this problem.” Or “God placed this person in my life as a roadblock to something else that wasn’t right, or to teach me something I needed to know.”  

            Another friend made this comment recently:  When it comes to the things of God and the way He works things out, that gets me speechless.”  We serve an awesome God who knows the beginning from the end and can see the whole picture!  We only see life through a narrow tunnel and form opinions, conclusions and make decisions based on what we see.  

            All that said, I’m the first to admit waiting to see ‘what comes next’ is excruciatingly difficult.  In general terms I consider myself a fairly patient person, yet when faced with pain and life altering decisions I’m not so patient!  I want to know the answer yesterday!  I want to see the plan; the course of action needed to make things work out and learn if it’s going to have a happy ending!  (I like fairy tales!)  It doesn’t always have a happy ending though.  Life isn’t like that.  That’s why God sends people into our lives to help us through the briars and brambles that would threaten to choke the life blood out us.

            I’m grateful I have a God who knows my heart: when it’s happy and when it’s breaking. With great effort on my part, I desperately want God to touch and shape me into the brand new person I can become, even while the “squeezing and forming” of said heart, by His loving hands can seem unbearable.  The idea that God is still “working” on me is somehow comforting.  The idea that people touch my life as they pass through is also comforting.  That said, for each person I have known, I thank you, with the full knowledge you were put in my life for reason!

Reason, Season, Lifetime

People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.

When you figure out which one it is,
you will know what to do for each person.

When someone is in your life for a REASON,
it is usually to meet a need you have expressed.
They have come to assist you through a difficulty;
to provide you with guidance and support;
to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually.
They may seem like a godsend, and they are.
They are there for the reason you need them to be.

Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time,
this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.
Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.
Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.
What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; their work is done.
The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.

Some people come into your life for a SEASON,
because your turn has come to share, grow or learn.
They bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh.
They may teach you something you have never done.
They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy.
Believe it. It is real. But only for a season.

LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons;
things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation.
Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person,
and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life.
It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant.
— Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment