He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, June 23, 2014

A Reflection Of Who We Are



Driving home from town today, I was struck by the very many different houses.  I saw what looked like a red brick historical one, a new one with many different roof angles, an octagonal structure, two story, single story, square, large and spacious, one with many windows, one with only several windows and even one (a mobile home) which had been stripped of its metal siding revealing studs and a layer of insulation.  It was being used as a dump station.  Trash could be seen through the windows.  And finally, the house that was run down and in need of a little TLC (Tender loving care.) 

            Our homes are often a reflection of ourselves.  When the yard and surrounding area is tidy, I picture a family that is also tidy and clean.  On the flip side, a yard that is cluttered with trash makes me wonder what the inside looks like.  Houses also reflect the personality of its occupants.  The color, if bold and saucy, lends me to believe the occupants probably are too.  If the colors are gentle earth tones, I get a feeling of peacefulness. 

 Does this mean all houses directly reflect those who live within?  No, probably not.  Yards that are perfectly manicured, with houses that are painted in complimentary colors and completely beautiful on the outside, can be filled with hate and anger on the inside.  The reverse is true, as well.  Homes that are beat up and run down may house occupants that are entirely loving, happy and carefree.

It’s interesting, I think, to look at a house and wonder about the people inside.  I think it’s sad to see an empty house.  It looks lonely and lost.  It makes me wonder what people think when they see my house.  Do they see happiness and contentment or sad and lonely, or worse, anger?

Our outer personal exterior is much the same.  When a person sees me, what do they see?  Do they see an honest portrayal of who I am?  Do they see a friendly, happy person or one that is grumpy and unkind?  Or are they not seeing me at all as everything I portray, is false?

Is my heart “open” with many windows or locked behind a shell of sadness and despair?  Am I bold and saucy with little regard for another’s feelings—or bold and saucy in the sense of outgoing, playful and lively; or am I kind and gentle?  Am I like the house with many different angled roofs so I project different things to different people? Is my life filled with trash for the all world to see, or do I hide my garbage from the world and expose it to only those closest to me?  Am I run down and tired, like the house which needs a little tender loving care? 

While we should be who we really are with people (as long as it’s not unkind!), God knows not only who we truly are, but He also knows our motives.  He knows what drives us to work hard, or be honest, courageous or strong.  He knows our weaknesses.  And like the house without occupants, he knows when we are lonely or sad.  It matters not what we try to hide from others, God still knows. 

I challenge you this week, to consider what you project to other people.  Does your exterior behavior reflect your interior---your heart?  Or are you hiding much of what you don’t want the world to see?  Are you filled with pain and anger, or joy and love?  If what you see isn’t what you want others to see, should you consider making changes?

No comments:

Post a Comment