He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, July 7, 2014

Asking For the Bow Not the Box



     I was going through some old journals recently and came across an entry I added about prayer which was a discussion during a Sunday School class.  I shared that I tend to pray “generically” rather than asking for specifics of what I want.  Especially since sometimes, I’m not sure what I want!  But it was explained that I was asking for the bow not the box.  I responded, “But it’s not about me!”  Another man in the group asked, “Why not?  God wants you to be happy.  When you don’t ask for what would make you happy, it’s like you believe you are unworthy, undeserving….and have no value.”   

             Life has a funny way of just “happening.”  There are circumstances over which we have no control.  I find myself wondering how I should pray.  Am I alone, here?   Are there others who think just as I do or at least did?  I want very much to live my life with a servant attitude.  So the idea of making the prayer about me seems selfish and egotistical.  Yet, I am no different than those I pray for.  I want others to be healed, whether physically, emotionally or spiritually.  I want their needs met, along with the desires of their heart.  This seems, for me, to be priority.   But is it wrong for me to want to be happy, as well?  Is it wrong for me to feel worthy and deserving of value?

            I was reading an article recently which shared insights into prayer.  The article proposes that prayer should not be a religious ritual but a conversation with God. I completely agree with this idea, and recognize it is not a one way conversation.  We’re not telling Him anything He doesn’t already know, but we need to bring our desire to Him with humble hearts.  And when we pray we need to believe God speaks and when He does, we must act with obedience. Prayer is where we find relationship with God, even as we wait for His response.

            When I reflect on my relationships with other people, the bond grows when thoughts, feelings, ideas and desires are shared.  Why would I want less than that with my Savior?  By having that one on one conversation with God, who is ultimately my very best friend, then our relationship grows and matures.  He wants me to share my heart, my desires, or what I feel would make me most happy---and I suggest, He would love to honor my request.  But just like the acknowledgement from my friend who would caution me against an activity or desire that may not be in my best interest, God will also respond, with love, against a request He knows would ultimately be harmful. He isn’t going to close a door however, without opening a window!  He won’t say no to one thing without offering something better!

            But when I skirt around those desires that would really make my heart sing, which ultimately is avoiding being honest with myself and Him, then I’m asking only for the bow on the box rather than what is inside.  I’m asking for the bare minimum of what God would love to give me.  It is God’s greatest desire that as one of His children, I am happy because he loves and values me.   Why then should I not ask him for the “whole bicycle” rather than just the peddle?  …Or for what is inside the box and not just the bow?
           

No comments:

Post a Comment