He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, August 11, 2014

Worth A Thousand Words


Photographs are fantastic.  They tell stories, mere words can’t touch.  In fact, I’m certain everyone knows the expression, “A picture is worth a thousand words.”  There’s that perfect smile, look of adoration, frustration, pure joy or even total surprise. Children in pictures are amazing.  To see the glee on their face is something magical!  But what happens when we find ourselves in a picture we really don’t like?

Some years ago my girls gave me the Christmas present of “glamour shots.”  The girls all turned out positively beautiful, while I, on the other hand, must not be a bit glamorous.  I look awful!  It didn’t look like me and I was so disappointed!  Now, granted, in my opinion I don’t photograph well anyway.  I always smile too big, crunch my eyes or have a look of “something else” on my face that ruins the picture.  While my girls smile that beautiful smile, and no matter what angle the picture is taken, look great!

This morning, I heard on the radio, comments on the scripture about women’s adorning the outside and how much less important it is than what is on the inside.  The speaker shared, while we can’t choose to be naturally beautiful on the outside we can choose to be beautiful on the inside.  That is reassuring!

What does it take to be beautiful on the inside?  I think the single, greatest thing we can do to make us look and feel beautiful on the inside is to know Jesus.  When His light is in us we can’t help but shine.  I believe it requires good character, honesty, kindness and humility.  But the question becomes how to get “there!”  First: smile!  I’ve heard it said "a smile is the single best “accessory” you can wear!"

Be positive!  When a person displays happiness and joy, it overflows.  It creates its own power making people feel better.  When others feel better, you will too.  Acknowledge the beauty in others and be generous with a kind word or compliment, which has amazing emotional healing ability.  If you are around someone who has had a bad day, depressed or even physically ill; telling them how they are beautiful in your eyes and your world, means more than any material gift you could give them.  It shows kindness and acceptance of who they are….just like they are! 

When someone projects negativity, repel the force with optimism!  People need to be reminded even when the world isn’t right (and when is it?) keeping a positive attitude will make the ugliness less ugly and therefore tolerable, even if it means you have to be the change you want to see happen!  Work toward a noble cause which is reason to celebrate because it gives satisfaction with being part of the solution, not the problem!

Be fervent about showing enthusiasm when you are happy or excited.  Consider: as adults we take great joy in seeing a child excited, whether it be about a good grade, creating a Lego project, drawing a picture, giving a flower (albeit really a weed), learning to skip or whistle, any number of small wonders in a child’s life!  It always makes us smile.  Why not carry and share that same enthusiasm as adults?  Why are we so stiff necked we believe we can’t be excited about anything?  The world is grand and we have every reason to celebrate small (or big) wonders we experience every day.  It’s God’s gift to us.  We should relish the moment, and share the joy!

So be beautiful today, regardless of how you think you look in a photograph; just because you are!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment