He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, August 4, 2014

Our Speech Speaks Our Heart



Recently I was asked to spontaneously comment on 1 Thessalonians 5:18 in relationship to our speech patterns:    “In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.”  And then comment on these questions:  Do you fail to give thanks in all things and at all times?  Are you filled with an attitude of gratefulness and praise?

My favorite Southern Gospel Group:  The Kingdom Heirs
I commented to my listeners, that sometimes it’s very difficult to remain thankful when things are going badly.  It can take grueling effort to look at the matter from a different perspective and come up with something encouraging or good.  When a couple is having marriage difficulties, it’s tough to come up with something uplifting.  When a child or other loved one is in a hospital bed fighting cancer it can be challenging at the very least to come up with anything that sounds remotely positive!

I like to look at my cup/life as being “half full” rather than “half empty.”   It makes my attitude a lot more pleasant.  It doesn’t mean I am happy all the time, because as I explained, while I am usually happy, I also have bad days and I’m not feeling positive at all.  That’s okay because I know ultimately good will prevail, because God is good and I will again see the sunshine.  But on those days when I’m feeling low, sad and just tearful, I have to seriously remind myself that God’s got this.  I have to find that song in my heart that brings joy despite the pain.  

I much prefer those mornings I wake with a song in my head (and heart), and then find it on a Christian radio station or a favorite CD!  But I need to listen to it as “good medicine” when I’m feeling low.  Because what I hear affects how I feel, and what I say to others also, affects how I feel. 

This is true even when we aren’t in a particularly low mood.  If we have a friend who comes to us with “murmuring,” how we respond affects both of us!  If the response is, “Yes but….” And then follow it with something positive about the person, or even situation, if possible, it has the power to change the other person’s negativity to something positive and keeps our heart from spiraling downward.  If the response is, “I know just what you mean…” and follow it with more negativity, then the stage is set for more rumor, gossiping, and murmuring.

If my heart is filled with thankfulness and praise then what comes from my mouth should also be thankfulness and praise.  Your mouth cannot speak what your heart or mind does not think.  When our hearts are filled with anger, bitterness or anything ugly, that is exactly what will come out of our mouths.

God wants and expects change if we are His.  We are expected to reach deep into His word to know His law and His mind.  We are to renew our minds, put off the old creation and put on the new.  If we haven’t yet done this, then it’s going to be really hard to stop negativity of any kind, because this is where Satan lives!  Even as His children, we are prone to worldly behaviors and this includes thoughts and speech which is ungodly and ultimately a sin.

My challenge for you this week is to consider your speech patterns.  Are they words of kindness or words that bring other people down?  Are they “gossipy,” those tender little tid bits of information that only have a grain of truth?  Are they words which are offensive?  Would you say those words to Jesus?  Would He approve of words spoken in anger? You choose.  Will you allow Satan to control your thoughts and thus your tongue with harmful speech or will you agree to letting God be in control so that what you say is uplifting?

No comments:

Post a Comment