He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, February 9, 2015

Who Is My Family?



Webster defines family as  “a group of persons of common ancestry” or “a group of things having common characteristics.”

Families come in all sizes and varieties including the traditional mother, father, child, to single parent families and families incorporating step-children and half brothers and sisters.  Each in its difference, shares a bond of common ancestry or common characteristics.

The greater population of the United States moves at least once in their lifetime.  Career changes, health, and discontent with a given area, ensures this more each year.  Because of this mobility, the “common biological” family is scattered to the winds.  Therefore, another type of family has emerged:  our church family.  It is vital both emotionally and spiritually.  Even when our biological family is near, the church family often proves very important.

When I look at my own family, I see geographical distance, culture and even, belief systems separating me from my extended family.  This is also true in my husband’s family.  My background is Amish/Mennonite.  Much of my mother’s family is still “Old Order Amish” which means horse and buggy for transportation, no electric lights and church services in German.  There is family here of this tradition, (even locally) on whom I could call if I needed them, but since lifestyle is so different, it would certainly be temporary!

My family on my dad’s side is scattered from the east coast to the west and while I still see them on occasion, to call on them in a crisis would be difficult.  Then there is the family who doesn’t hold to the same Faith, as I.  In fact, faith beliefs are so different in some instances it cannot be discussed.  And in other cases, it’s the lack of Faith that would make “closeness” difficult.

So where does a person turn when circumstances threaten to crumple your world?  I suggest it is our church family.  It is in this environment where understanding seems to govern even when life is in an upheaval.  There seems to be a core of people who will support us, lift us up in prayer, lend a listening ear, offer advice when asked, offer guidance from the Scriptures, and hug us while we cry. 

I’m not even remotely suggesting we forgo our biological family when we need them, but there are times when our ‘blood’ family can't meet our need.  They are too close to a situation, choose to take sides, are so far away aid is impossible, or offer advice they expect us to take even when we disagree with their thought process, creating a whole new bundle of unsettling issues!

I challenge you to look closely at your church family.  Are there those with whom you find you have a bond where the relationship is stronger than even a “Christian brother or sister?” Do you confide in them when things are turned upside down and call them when you are rejoicing over an accomplishment?  Would you consider them closer than your biological brothers or sisters?  I suggest we all have friends like this in our lives.  There may be a single friend in this category or there may be several.  And beyond that, there is often a core of people within your church family, even if they aren’t your “closest” friends who wouldn’t think twice about coming to your aid, having a picnic, sharing joyous news, or offering a shoulder to cry on should you need it.

 God is good and I’m grateful I have the blessings of a wonderful church family. How do you feel about yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment