He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, May 11, 2015

Best Friends

          
         A friend and I have been involved in a Bible Study for some time.  A couple days ago we were asked to name a mentor, a woman who is energized for the Lord, who we look up to, enjoy spending time with, and is quick to ask if we’ve looked into the scriptures whenever we are faced with some kind of issue that has us rattled.  I did come up with such a woman, but I also came up with a young man I know well, who also fits this description.  Many times I’ve said, “I’d love to have his strength, his faith.”

           Do you have someone in your life who you can count on in any situation; a friend, even a best friend?  I remember for years, as a young person, wanting a “best friend” and for whatever reason I never seemed to have one.  Oh, I had friends, all right.  I had lots of them.  But to say I had a best friend, just didn’t seem to be available to me.  My "best friend" came later in life.

            There’s a story about two sisters who had a discussion about friends, even best friends, that was especially difficult, even though they were both adults.  They were as different as day and night,  had different perspective on lives, different views on faith, attitudes, things and people in general.  In the discussion, the older sister asked if the two of them could be best friends.  The younger sister said, she would always love her as a sister, but best friend relationships aren’t chosen that way.  They are developed over time, nurtured on both sides and it grows naturally into the relationship it becomes.  This relationship of trust and love can stand the test of time and is the groundwork for sharing secrets, pain, growth, happiness, dreams and more. 

            We just passed Mother’s day.  It is said there is no greater love than that of a
mother. I won’t say a mother’s love is perfect, but if ever there was a love that gives with
all the heart is it in this arena.  Mother’s have the innate ability to love beyond measure,
even when they are misunderstood, treated badly, or seemingly forgotten.  The following
quote by Washington Irving seems to say it best:   

         “A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.” ― Washington Irving

            I guess what I’d like to be, is both the mother described by Washington Irving, and the best friend who demonstrates godly character, strong in her faith and an encouragement to others!

            Jesus, the Messiah, wants that kind of relationship with each of us. He loved, He served, cared for the poor, had compassion, understood pain and grief, knew the power of temptation, had the authority to forgive sins and was willing to go to the cross to offer a path of salvation.  His love is even greater than that of a mother.  His is a perfect love, without any faults or human frailties. 


            So I challenge you to look at your relationships.  Do you have a “best friend” who you can always count on?  Are you that kind of friend?  Do you know Jesus as your ultimate “best friend?”  I hope you do.  If not, I encourage you make Him your personal Savior and Best Friend right this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment