He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, March 13, 2017

Un-Sinful Weights

          

            One of my sons is an avid body builder.  I often tease him by saying he is “obsessed with exercising!”  Some days he only works out an hour, other days as many as three hours!  I, on the other hand, am lucky if I “really” exercise a couple of minutes an entire week!  I just don’t seem to have the motivation it takes to stay focused.  I’ve tried from time to time, setting out my time frame, creating both short term and long term goals.  I’ve used machines and just done workouts without any mechanical accessories and even just tried to walk consistently, and somehow those plans go awry!

            That’s not to say I’m not busy!  There doesn’t seem to be enough hours in any day that allows me to get all the things done I’d like to.  I’m not a “sit down” person and may only stay in my chair at my desk for fifteen to twenty minutes at a time, and then I’m up doing something else.  So, I am busy, but it hardly qualifies as exercise! 

            Paul in Scripture talks about how a ‘runner’ follows a specific regimen that enables him to be the best he can be.  That requires rising at a certain time, eating a healthy breakfast, exercising and working on his technique, planning activities during the day that are relevant to his competitions, going to bed at a scheduled hour, not eating bad foods, staying away from things that would inhibit growth, keeping focus and vision, determination and on and on.  The idea is that if he is serious about excelling in whatever competition he is in, he has rigid self-control!

            Needless to say, when I reflect on what “self-control” looks like for a ‘runner’ who is serious about winning the prize, I fail miserably!  It’s not just about setting boundaries, it’s about setting my eyes on the goal!  This analogy can be used in our relationship with Christ, as well.  Ultimately Christ is our prize.  How serious are we about knowing who He is and what it is He wants both from us and for us?

            When we approach Christ from this perspective we must recognize we need to put aside those “un-sinful weights” that have the ability to ultimately cause us to sin!  When our lives are so busy with “stuff” we can’t find time to spend “time” with Him, we are using “un-sinful weights” to sin!  That may sound odd, but think of it.  When we allow those things in life we enjoy doing, to crowd out Christ aren’t we putting them before God? 

            When we choose to allow life’s circumstances to weigh us down to the point of despair, aren’t we putting those “circumstances” before our First Love of Christ? We are to be joyful in all things!  When we let events in our work, or our life, to become mind consuming, we are not placing the calling God has for us, first!

            We may even say, “but wait!  I am ‘working’ for the Lord!”  The work should still be second, because God should be first!  It’s not about us!  It’s about Him!  It’s always about Him! Our faith and love of God is what enables us to ‘work’ and fulfill His purposes. When we put Him first, then our efforts can be rewarded.  When we put ourselves first we have failed….. we’ve let un-sinful weights ‘weigh’ us down and away from God.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment