He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, July 10, 2017

God's Word Is Profitable

         
        I watched on TV recently one of the old Westerns my husband enjoys, and the storyline included getting an education. This concept could not be understood by some of the parents and certainly some of the students, when the school teacher approached a family about going to school.  The mind-set was, “I haven’t needed to read or write; there’s no reason my son will need to.” While the son responded with, “Why do I need book learnin’?  I’m going to be a farmer like my Pa and he can teach me everything I need to know.”

            Recalling my own education, I couldn’t understand why on earth I needed to learn Algebra!  I’d never have reason to use it.  All it did was muddle my brain!  Or in history class, learning all the dates and places of wars long forgotten.  I didn’t mind the information on the people and even the places, but war details; Really???  And an even greater distaste, was the need to learn the element table when I was positive I’d never need such Scientific information!

            My mind was not considering the whole picture of knowledge to make a well-rounded, productive citizen.  The good came from understanding the processes of how we have gotten to where we are, the mistakes made, as well as, the victories accomplished.  To know this information enables me to have intelligent conversation, while using the brain God gave me!

            I heard a Pastor say once that we are not only responsible for those things we know in the Bible, but for those things we don’t.  I was dumbfounded at the thought and it niggled my mind to no end!  I completely understood that knowing God’s Word was important and I’d read a good bit of it, but even so, not nearly all of it.  There are some books of the Bible that just seem hard to read. 

            But when I look at the whole picture, knowing those stories and information in between those covers is serious business!  It is after all, God’s Word.  If he hadn’t thought it important enough to include, he would have left it out!  The fact that he did include it, makes it valuable information for me to learn, and learn from!

            The idea that I’m supposed to know and that I’m accountable for knowing….  Even those things I don’t think I need to know, is mind boggling and a little intimidating!  I have much to learn!  I can’t have the perspective like the pioneer boy who did not feel he would need an education because he’d just be a farmer anyway….or even my own immature perceptions of what was important or not in my own education.  It’s the whole concept of learning what is there!


            God gave us His Written Word.  It’s up to each of us to know the material.  I’m not just talking about reading it for the sake of reading it, but for the sake of knowing it.  We are accountable for what we know……  and all we do not know.  How will we answer when God asks why we didn’t read and study the very words He gave us?

No comments:

Post a Comment