He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, January 22, 2018

Does How We Pray Matter?

        
          There are those who I completely enjoy listening to, as they pray.  Their words seem poetic as they share their heart not only with God, but those around them.  Their sentences are grammatically correct, don’t seem to pause while they contemplate what they are going to say next and don’t stumble over their words. 
        Praying in front of others, I admit however, sometimes unnerves me.  I have fear of saying the wrong thing, stuttering, not using the correct grammar and the opposite of all those things others do right.
            Now, that said, when I am in prayer alone, it’s completely different.  I ramble.  I pour out my thoughts, not using complete sentences or even good grammar.  I tend to get excited when I’m sharing something that happened—(even though I know God already knows) and, as is normal for me, talk in fast forward. I’m a conversationalist, and that’s my private prayer life.  Sometimes I ask myself if this is wrong?  Am I being irreverent? 
            The question of “how to pray” has been around since Jesus’ time.  The disciples even asked Him how they should pray.  I was reading an article recently that addresses this idea. Instead of telling them to “chat,” (which is what I do much of the time), he was very specific in his guidelines teaching them “The Lord’s Prayer.” 
            The author says in his article that “every word matters,” right down to recognizing who it is we are talking with. ---Is my chattiness irreverent?  The idea of asking about our daily bread in “The Lord’s Prayer” indicates it should be a daily conversation; and Jesus' thoughts on forgiveness also give us indicators of the importance of this action.
             The author feels we neglect the importance of “Your kingdom come.”  We are to align our thought process with God.  Very often, we put the “I’ in front of God; “I want, I need, etc.”   I heard someone say once, “God is not a vending machine!”  I like this analogy.  Sometimes I think we ask God for things, and expect Him to give us what we want just like putting our money in the vending machine, pushing the “right buttons” and down drops whatever it was we paid for!  In “The Lord’s Prayer,” Jesus directs us to recognize Him, praise him (Hallowed by thy Name) and then submit to his will (Thy will be done) before moving on.
            As I read the article I had this sinking feeling, I must be doing it all wrong!  I do honor him at the beginning of my prayer.  As I list the many ways He is God from the Alpha and Omega to my Master; I believe it’s worship and praise.  I then share my thank you’s and there is always a long list, but as I reach that point, I get excited and share my heart in other ways.
            I have an image of Jesus, while on Earth, in conversation with God sharing about “stuff” that happened in his day.  Can you imagine Jesus when he communicated with God saying something like, “Wasn’t it just something today when….”   When I think this way, I wonder if maybe God approves of my chattiness since I'm pouring out my heart.  He is supposed to be our Best Friend.  Right???
            My point is this.  I know the author of the article was spot on about reverencing God in prayer.  I get that—and we must do that.  But I can’t help but wonder if God doesn’t also want us to be “real” with him, too.  We are to have a relationship with Him.  Doesn’t this include communication that is genuine, despite bad grammar, incomplete sentences and rambling?

            Thoughts?  Comments?  Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment