He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, July 30, 2018

Lord and Master

         To know someone has possession of us or be in complete submission can be intimidating.  My immediate thought process catapults back to the Civil War and what it did to our country.  It was a time of upheaval for our country and nearly devastated the communities of many states across the region, even dividing states in half. History indicates loyalties and emotions were driven in opposite directions, as ideas on the slavery issues and other ‘state’s rights matters’ came to a head.
         As a teenager from the 1970’s I remember when the “Woman’s Liberation Movement” really took root. It was a time of huge discontent among even the young girls in high school.  There were rallies and demonstration to further the cause.  They were determined they would be submissive to no man.  They had the right to equality on all levels, shunning the idea of having doors opened for them or any other kind of kindness or service that implied they were unable to do it themselves!
         In marriages, we as women, are to be submissive to our husbands.  That thought, or claim, can curdle the blood of some women.  But to be submissive to the head of the home, (our husbands) is to be submissive to God.  It doesn’t mean they are to treat us as second class citizen’s without respect. But our husbands are to be leaders in our faith.  They are to be strong and the example of God’s Word and world.  
         I was reading an article recently written by a Baptist minister who indicated believers have a problem being submissive to the Pastor and Elders when making a major decision. I admit I have always been one of them! While I agree with getting advice from my Pastor, I’m not sure it ever occurred to me to make major decisions based on what the Elders believe. That said, I never pictured myself going to an “elder, deacon or other church authority” about anything other than spiritual matters. I understand Elders respond to the question based on prayer and careful thought, but as adult, it seems I should be responsible (and accountable) for my decisions, not someone else.  Yet I find myself, as I read scripture, wondering if they aren’t on to something. 
         Submission in any form comes hard for humans.  Jesus was the model for submission, however, when he went to the cross because it was God, the Father’s will.  If we could base our mode of life on this singular incident, we would see how important it is to be submissive to Christ, as Lord and Master as we are God’s creation and belong to him; our Pastor, as leader of our congregation who we trust with our spiritual growth; and our husbands, as leaders of faith in our homes.
         So I challenge you to reflect on your feelings of submission.  Are they in alignment with God?  Is God your “Lord and Master?”  Is your husband the “head” in your household and if your Pastor and Elders were to share a different opinion on a matter you discussed with them, would you take their advice? 

No comments:

Post a Comment