He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, September 17, 2018

Inferior Words

        
          When my husband and I traveled across country, people could often tell where we were from because of our accent and the words or expressions we used.  Once while camping in South Dakota and using the shower facilities in a campground with my young daughters, someone called out to me and said, “You have to be from the Eastern Shore!” 
         “We are,” I responded.  “But how did you know that?”
         “By the way you talk,” she said.  
         Needless to say, I was totally shocked.  I had no idea I had even the remotest accent or used any particular dialect relative to the place we lived.  But given I never saw or met the woman who spoke to me, I apparently did!
         In the northern states people put items in a sack, while on the east coast items are put in a bag.  We have sodas, other people have pop.  Many grandparents are mom mom and pop pop, while in other areas they are Grandma and Grandpa or Nana and Poppa.  It has to do with geography.  None is wrong, just different.
         In the Appalachian Mountains there is a distinct dialect which sets it apart and has been suggested as being inferior, due to seclusion from other areas, apathy, and absence of education.  The culture has been subjected to accusations of unsophistication.   This is far from the truth.   People are just different, and there is nothing wrong with that.   In fact, the dialect and accent is an appealing element of the area. There have been times when I’ve looked at a total stranger with whom I’m having a conversation and say, “I could listen to you talk all day long!” 
         As Christians, when we share the Gospel, we are accused of a variety of things. It might be stupidity, lunacy, ignorance or even fanaticism.  When attacked in such a way, we might choose to cower and stop sharing, even when we would rather not.  We aren’t trying to be fearful or even disobedient, we just want the mocking and insults to stop.
         Recently a young woman I don’t know “followed” me on Twitter.  I responded with a thank you and hoped she’d find my posts a blessing.  I was taken aback when her response was negative and downright insulting, especially when she “followed” me, not the other way around.  I wanted to respond, and ask why she followed me, but the internet (or my computer) –or God, intervened and I could not make connection.  Instead I prayed for her!
         We are told not to be shy about sharing, but to rely on the Holy Spirit. It’s difficult to react positively when unkind things are being said.  Often our instinct is to respond with equally negative reactions.  When we do this we are not allowing the Holy Spirit to work through us.  Instead we are inviting “things of this world” to rule our thoughts and behaviors.
         So I challenge you to offer understanding when people are different from what seems “normal” in your world.  Different isn’t necessarily wrong.  Additionally, consider the person throwing vile and offensive comments as an opportunity to demonstrate God in your life.  You might be the only glimpse of God they’ve ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment