He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, April 29, 2019

I Am The Daughter Of A King

           There are days when I wonder who I am! I know I am wife to Charles, mother to five grown children and grandmother to 16 grandchildren.  I know I am friend to many, an aunt, sister, and even writer.  But what is most important?  Are these identities what defines me?   Even though I’ve been a follower of Christ for many years, I thought it did.  
            People were confused about who Jesus was too, as he walked among them as a human.  Some believed he was a Prophet; others wondered if he was the Promised Messiah, yet couldn’t get a handle on this idea because of his birth geography!  Further, many believed the Messiah would come as a great king to overthrow Rome; a great conqueror!  Instead they are seeing a Man who claimed to be God; who offered living water.  Who was this man, Jesus?
            He changed lives, forgave sins, raised men from the dead, and healed many.  He knew the scriptures and taught, even at the tender age of twelve.  His identity was confusing to those who didn’t believe it was possible he was the Messiah, even after he told them, using scriptures, that it was so! 
            As I look at my list of “who I am” it occurs to me there’s something much greater than these earthly identities.  It’s who I am in Christ!  It’s been a joy discovering this!  There are countless scriptures that defines this.  I’m trying my best to memorize them, so when days are going badly (and even when they aren’t) I can pull on them to strengthen my heart and soul to continue to move forward.
            There is quite the list, but I’m going to focus on just a few. First I am the daughter of the King. (1 John 3:1) Secondly, I am loved. (Jeremiah 31:3) I am delighted in. (Zephaniah 3:17) I am a masterpiece. (Ephesians 2:10) I am forgiven.  (1 Peter 2:24) I am washed clean. (Isaiah 1:18) I am free. (Galatians 5:1)
            Each of these verses are solid Biblical truths and therefore I know I can believe they are relevant to me.  God’s Word is filled with these truths and more to build us up and draw us to Him.  He wants an intimate relationship with us.  As I focus on these statements, it makes me realize I have something important to give---not only back to the Father, but to those around me.  
            As I live out these beliefs, Christ will be seen in me (or in spite of me!).  How can He not be? Our lives mirror what we believe; and what we believe in our hearts, we live, speak through our words and project to others.  
            We have completed the first quarter of a new year.  Still, there are more opportunities for new adventures.  I encourage you to think about “who you are;” not just as a person navigating this earthly life, but as a child of God.  Let it give you comfort, encouragement and empower you as you continue to move onward and forward in 2019.  

No comments:

Post a Comment