He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, September 2, 2019

Reaching For The Stars

         
          Here we are the beginning of September and I’m thinking of Christmas!  It is, along with Easter, my favorite time of year.  While I don’t necessarily count down the days until the holiday, there are many people who do and even get aid from a computer app that works as a reminder every day!  Currently, I’m happy with knowing there is about four months until Christmas, and for any projects I need completing, I’d better get on it!

            I was reflecting on the Christmas tree recently, but particularly the star.  It seemed to be of most importance at the time.  I saw it as brightly lit, and shining for all the world to see.  That is, after all, what happened when the Shepherds saw it those many years ago, and the Wise Men followed to find the Christ Child.
            Considering this, it’s safe to say stars imply something wonderful and positive.  Even seeing a sky full of stars on a crisp, cool night in mid-summer is somehow energizing and encouraging.  The Pastor mentioned in a sermon recently that a clear sky in the dead of winter filled with brightly lit stars is a demonstration of the “heavens displaying God’s glory.”  I agree! It’s a breathtaking sight.
A star atop a Christmas tree somehow seems to inspire goals and lofty ambitions; changes and new beginnings; faith and dreams that can be realized. Isn’t this what we all dream for in our lives?   We desire to see our loftiest dreams and goals attained, not only for ourselves, but for our families.  It’s what drives us to do our best, regardless of our occupation to provide for our loved ones.   For those who are “faith” driven, our loftiest dream is to be obedient to whatever it is God has called us to do.
Even little children will look at a star and recite the lyric or poem line, “Star light, star bright; First star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might, have the wish I wish tonight.”  That’s just a little poem written by an anonymous author, but there is something to be said about stars and the inspiration they bring.
I’m not for “wishing” on a star, but I do have lofty dreams and believe, in time, the dreams will become a reality.  That doesn’t mean I can sit back and expect it to happen without a great deal of work.  Anything worth having is worth working for, and that’s as it should be.  When something comes free and easy, it often doesn’t have the same impact or importance on or in our lives, if some effort wasn’t required.
Dreams are wonderful!  They add a spark and drive to what might become dull and mundane and work not enjoyed, if it wasn’t something we truly desired.  In fact, there are those who would tell you, if you can do something (and get paid for it) that you really love doing, it often doesn’t qualify as work at all!  
I agree.  Even knowing it is “work,” being able to enjoy what we do, makes our day shine, much like the star on top of the Christmas tree.  It’s a way of shining brightly in a world that often is blurred with grayness and negativity!  I prefer the “shiny side of life!”  How about you?  Do you have lofty goals, that while striving toward, makes you smile with enthusiasm and positivity!?  

No comments:

Post a Comment